Barbed wire, sandpaper and a golf ball.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 21. Feb 2018, 14:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
I think this might be otherwise known as a throat infection. A golf ball is lodged somewhere down my throat and is carefully wrapped in sandpaper - I can feel every swallow so, as a result, keep swallowing. It's odd that, isn't it? If we bash summat we keep accidentally bashing it whilst it's sore; my throat is irritated so I keep swallowing trying to ease matters and of course it doesn't.

To increase my feelings of joy and well-being my joints and muscles are being prodded on a regular basis by barbed wire, possibly due to my overdoing it in London and not having taken my meth or humira (I am now three weeks without the latter and two without the former). I know that each stays in the system for some time but the levels must be ebbing which is why things are feeling as they are. My skin is also having a dig at me, I didn't take my usual shower stuff with me thinking that the hotel stuff wouldn't harm for two days - wrong. :lol:

I have things to do but I ain't doing 'em. Superstition is not a factor so the tree can wait and he is perfectly capable of chucking stuff in the washing machine (as long as he's told to bung stuff in and I remember to empty it). What a way to start 2018 but I guess it's par for the arthritic course and serves me right for having a good time - we went to see Stomp and they were terrific unlike the humans around me for the two days, many of whom were explosively coughing and sneezing. Being showered in others' explosive germs is not a pleasant experience. :roll: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    So sorry to hear you are suffering DD. I know what you mean about swallowing with a sore throat. I'm not sure if when we have things like sore throats we swallow more or just become more aware we are doing it. Glad to hear you had a good time in my neck of the woods but sorry to hear about the after effects. Hope you are able to get back on the meth/humeria soon.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Oh gosh DD, hope that things begin to settle soon. It's such a balancing act isn't it-to live life in the midst of germ factories, or to protect ourselves and let life pass us by. I'm just back on the DMARD's after 3 weeks without due to a virus followed by a chest infection which triggered my asthma....and whilst my joints were grateful for the steroids to treat the asthma, I was very aware that I'd left off the other stuff.

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    It is a bother at times, isn't it? I think that's another reason I prefer my OA to the other, it's comparatively straightforward in what it does and how it goes about its business. It isn't sly, hiding behind nasty meds but always waiting to pounce . . . .

I hope things are better for you now, I am not missing the meds as yet but if I miss this week too then it may begin to have an effect. I am supposed to be going to the gym on Thursday . . . . . hmmmm. I've been briefly out and about today but am back in bed, not feeling too good if truth be told. I too have asthma, I still need the reliever but that's because I am pants at taking the preventer! DD
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Warm salty water, gargle as much as possible then spit it out, repeat a number of times a day, that'll kill the bugs . Hot honey and lemon drinks, add a spoonful of whisky as you go to bed. Paracetamol to taste!

m0150 Springs on its way!
  • dibdab
    I'm reasonably conscientious with the inhalers DD, but really sensitive to traffic fumes etc. I'm definitely better than I was thanks DD, but I have to confess that a brief walk with the dog ( a small scruffy mixed breed who gives me a reason to walk most days) has left me worn out so I'm now tucked up in an armchair with a cuppa.

Glad to hear you're looking after yourself, but maybe the gym might be a step too far this week......sometimes taking a day or two more to recover is better in the long run. Hubby and I are trying to work up the courage to join the local gym......but I have to admit I'm wary of hurting fragile bits... I've managed to lose around a stone and a half over 12 months and to carry on I need to up the exercise so hopefully now my chest is settled we can grasp the nettle and give it a go.

Hope tomorrow sees you better than today. Take good care of yourself.

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm pleased to hear you are better than you were - so am I and I agree with your words about maybe missing the gym this week. I think it sensible but I will do at least three walks around the various blocks and some stretching instead. I have started dismantling the Christmas tree today and boy, can I feel it. :( DD
  • dreamdaisy
    I've resumed the meds and I can feel the difference albeit in the wrong direction. I thought I was clear of the bug but it turns out it was merely awaiting the removal of my defences :wink: . Hey-ho, it will pass, all things do. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Things continue to improve: I feel sick, have a temperature and have pulled muscles on my left hand side, affecting my ribs.

Whoever is out there, busily stabbing pins into a little DD, can you take a break for a while please? :lol: DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Things continue to improve

:?

Ah the dreaded meds. I was sorely tempted to resume my meth last Thursday but I resisted womanfully. As a result my cough is much better and joints worse. Innit fun?

Mr SW is playing golf later this week. I'll ask him to take your golf ball.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    Oh blow blast and bother it DD........hope things start to settle soon.
    Sympathise with muscle problem....I decided to shampoo some carpets (whilst hubby wasn't looking :oops: to avoid the nagging) and in the process hurt my ribs and hip which have just about settled down 10 days later. Maybe it's time for another GP visit and some advice re meds?

Try to be gentle with yourself for a while t2507 .

Deb xx
  • Slosh
    Sorry to hear this DD, really hope things start to improve for you soon.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Come on you two, you'll be missing out on spring, soooooo much to do!

Get well soon.

m0150
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you everyone, things are improving so I shall carry on with what I have been doing because it seems to be working. As I have been doing very little (and I am, by nature, indolent) that is not a challenge. One of the unexpected benefits of having 'imself at home now is that he does make me a cuppa and brings me food, so that is a luxury I appreciate. There is still some gaps that only I seem to be able to fill however, such as loading the washing machine. He does vac the kitchen after a cooking spree but doesn't vac anywhere else - why? :? I'll vac the kitchen then carry on down the hall and do the sitting / dining room whether they need it or not. Female-brain-thinking I guess. DD
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Hmmm, that's your idea of doing very little! I don't think you've quite got the hang of this resting business DD :lol:
    Numpty
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hugs DD,hope things continue to improve.
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you Mig, that's very kind. Things took another turn last night, sadly not for the better, but I'm over the worst of it now. We are both longing about on sofas, watching daytime TV: he's had a tooth removed and I'm depleted. What a pair! :lol: DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    We are both longing about on sofas

Are you both longing for each other? That would work :wink:

Sorry, DD. Couldn't resist. feel free to pick up on all my subsequent typos. There will be many :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    :lol: As a typo it's not up there with the tripe therapy, is it? :lol:

I'll try again: lounging about. :D We have lounged all afternoon (with some snoozing too) and it's been rather splendid. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    It's either back (having not really gone away to be honest) or I've caught another one on top. :roll: I have been out and about over the past week and the number of people coughing and spluttering has been noticeable. Despite my frequent surface-wiping and hand washing I'm not too good, I've even turned the thermometer amber with a temp of 38 degrees: quite why I feel a sense of achievement over that I have no idea! :lol: DD

t2507
  • dreamdaisy
    Mr DD has done some interweb surfing and I match the flu criteria, golly. :shock: I have had the injection but that is no guarantee that stuff won't happen, is it? I won't be going to the GP as there is nothing he can do and I am already doing all the right things to make things better. I've stopped the tramadol and taking paracetamol instead to reduce the temperature, that takes priority over the joints. I'm still in the amber at 38.5 so that's OK. DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    As you say DD the flu jab is no guarantee;it reduces the risk, but viruses are sneaky things and it's always possible to encounter one that you haven't been given.
    I hope you don't get more colourful thermometer-wise, amber to red would not be good - head for pastures green instead.
    Incidentally when you started this thread my first reaction to the title - barbed wire et al - was 'Oh, modern sculpture', and I still can't get the image out of my mind. It's not inappropriate in some respects - the current(extra) assaults on your health are not so different from something ugly assembled from scrap.....
  • Slosh
    Sorry to hear this DD, it is a sneaky thing this virus, I read in a report, (Guardian), that the vaccine this year was only 40% effective at best and less effective in vulnerable groups.
    I know you will do all the sensible things, I hope it departs the DD household quickly.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you, Daffy and Slosh, I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

I am pleased to report that things are currently back in the green but I still have a temperature (a concept that the non-medical and healthy Mr DD is struggling with). There is no such thing as a universal normal temperature, perhaps the majority run at 37 (which is 98.6 in old money) but the actual range is from 36 +/- .8: this is based on oral measurements. I'm down to 37.3 but that is one degree or so up from my usual so I am still not right.

I think for anyone who is immuno-suppressed it is worth getting to know your usual temperature because, should trouble strike, you'll be better informed so can pass on the information to anyone who might need to know. DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Even for those not having to contend with immuno-suppression it is useful to know what your baseline temperature and other measures are.
    A friend of mine normally runs very much on the cool side of the normal range, so if her temperature gets to the high side of normal when she's beginning to feel under the weather, she knows to keep an eye on it.
    My daughter's blood pressure is very low normally,( very much at odds with the strapping lass she is, and no obvious reason why) so again if it's on the upper end of normal for age etc she can bear that in mind if something is wrong or she is starting medication.
    In both cases the doctors tend to disregard the patient's knowledge since what they are looking at are 'normal' figures. By the same token, having 'anomalous' figures, such as my daughter, can lead to attention being wrongly focused. Many years ago as an au pair in America she ended up in the ED, unable to speak but hearing the doctors panicking that she must be having an internal bleed as her blood pressure was so low and wanting to open her up to find it. Fortunately her employer arrived just in time and was able to explain, so that could be put on hold at least!
  • dibdab
    Oh dear, hope that a few days of being kind to yourself will set you on the road to recovery. Like you I tend to run cool-about 36.4 as a rule, and the GP takes my temp and says it's fine when I know that I'm way hotter than normal.

Deb x