Dreaming of pain

littlemimmy
littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
edited 13. Jan 2018, 07:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has this happened to anyone? Last night I dreamed that a dog was biting my hand, and the pain eventually woke me up, but of course the pain was real and my hand was agony.

My sleep is usually my only pain-free place, so this was just rubbish!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Every night, a good night is when it happens only twice. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Babsb
    Babsb Member Posts: 26
    Only ever happened once to me. I dreamed I was being tortured. I know it sounds dramatic but never experienced such pain before. Doctor upped all my pain meds and fortunately it hasn't been that bad since.
    babsb
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Has this happened to anyone? Last night I dreamed that a dog was biting my hand, and the pain eventually woke me up, but of course the pain was real and my hand was agony.

My sleep is usually my only pain-free place, so this was just rubbish!

Hi Littlemimmy,

I hate it when that happens. I’ve had it a handful of times. I find I normally dream I’m having an operation or am in hospital but I wake up and find my back is really hurting.

I hope the pain in your hand eases soon.

Kirsty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • littlemimmy
    Thank you everyone; I'm glad it's not just me! DD, that's awful! Have you tried sleeping tablets or anything to see if that helps?
  • dreamdaisy
    Medication has been offered by my GP but I refuse because I think I am taking enough for the PsA and OA, a stance with which she agrees. I no longer move naturally in my sleep and, on the odd occasion where I get through the night without waking, the following day is dreadful because my joints have seized up so the thought of being knocked out is far from appealing. I recognise that I am in the fortunate position of not having any commitments - I've done my time on that front! :wink: DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Very unpleasant. I know something of the kind happened to me once but I can't recall the details. (It was pain but no dog involved. )

I think the brain just tries to make sense of what's happening. The one I do remember is having my eyelids sandpapered. I opened them to find it was the cat trying to, and succeeding in, licking them awake.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    :shock: Ye gods. DD
  • littlemimmy
    DD, that makes complete sense. The last thing you'd want is to completely seize up overnight, more than you already do. I think the dreams are the lesser of the evils!

Sticky, that's awful! My sister's cat used to chew my toes when I was in bed, but now I don't consider that to be so bad!
  • dreamdaisy
    The dreams are fairly predictable so at least I know what's going to happen: in them I am doing a lot of walking but minus any aids, the pain builds (usually in the ankles, knees and hips) and then I wake up (with painful ankles etc.) On the odd occasion when the dream affects a different area then that's the bit that hurts when waking. I can't fault it as an alarm system but I can fault the fact that it's on 24/7/52.

I have learned various coping strategies over my 'Sleepless in Ipswich (and elsewhere) Years' - I read my Kindle, distract myself with alphabet lists of increasing complexity* or if push has really come to shove, I get up and have a cuppa or three whilst doing a puzzle book. Distraction is my best weapon. DD

PS * last night's list was words of three syllables with the same vowel in each syllable: adamant, banana, cemetery, diminish, element, finishing etc. I fell asleep after kedgeree.
  • littlemimmy
    I suppose there are some positives then. Perhaps my hand would have been a lot worse without the dream waking me up.

DD, your brain works so much better than mine at night! My brain refuses to function at all when I can't sleep; I can't even read or watch tv!
  • stickywicket
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    PS * last night's list was words of three syllables with the same vowel in each syllable: adamant, banana, cemetery, diminish, element, finishing etc. I fell asleep after kedgeree.

:o And who could blame you :wink:

I quite agree that it's better to wake with a painful joint, or several, than to carry on sleeping and make matters worse.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I've had years of this, littlemimmy, so my brain knows the drill. :wink: If you want to try a list have a bash at three letter words with no repeating letters: e.g. egg is not allowed but ear is: then try four, five and six. UK place names is another good one (no syllable rules on that one unless you want a challenge) and of course there are exceptions for some letters. I learned not to fight to go to sleep, rather I bore myself to sleep. :wink:

I don't know about you, sticky, but kedgeree is one of my favourite breakfasts and yes, I have been known to nod off after. :lol: DD
  • stickywicket
    Ah, kedgeree! Wonderful stuff. I used to make it when my sons were young but Mr SW isn't big on it. Why does it no longer appear on restaurant menus?
    Steven Wright
  • littlemimmy
    What on earth is kedgeree?!

Ah, I've just looked it up - not sure if it sounds delicious or disgusting! Definitely couldn't eat it for breakfast!
  • dreamdaisy
    If one likes eggs, smoked fish and a hint of curry then what's not to like? Our local pub had it on its breakfast menu for years then suddenly changed it to hot scrambled eggs with cold-from-the-fridge smoked salmon. Yuk. DD