Am I classed as disabled?

colinjohngreen
colinjohngreen Member Posts: 2
edited 15. Jan 2018, 09:58 in My child has arthritis
18 months ago I was diagnosed with Arthritis in both knees. I have recently been temporarily been signed off work and my employer has asked if I am now classed as disabled.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello colinjohngreen and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear about your Arthritis in both knees. I take it your time off work was maybe due to your arthritis?

Years ago there was a register of people with disabilities so the answer to your question would have been fairly easy. Now though it is slightly less clear cut and can be a matter of your own personal perception.

It may be that your employer is actually wants to know whether you have a recognised Disability under the 2010 Equality Act (Disability Discrimination Act in Northern Ireland). In that case yes, Arthritis is a recognised disability.

Can I suggest you read this information by Arthritis Research UK:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/daily-life/work-and-arthritis/how-can-i-get-the-right-support-at-work/your-rights-at-work.aspx

We have a great community here, who have lots of experience of arthritis, I know they will make you very welcome and help if they can. Hopefully someone will be along soon to share their experience.

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • amytan
    amytan Member Posts: 6
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi John

Sorry to hear about your arthritis.

You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have 'a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.'

(A few examples of this would be if your arthritis prevented you from walking without mobility aids, or prevented you from walking very far but there are many other examples.)