Hi and a question about cod liver oil

arniemouse
arniemouse Member Posts: 3
edited 24. Jan 2018, 11:57 in Say Hello Archive
Hi
I am new to the forum. My arthritis has gone mad in the last year or so and has spread to a lot of my joints with hands and hips probably the worst. I was astounded to discover from my GP that pain relief and later surgery are the only real options! I can't take anti inflammatory's because of bad asthma just my luck.
I already have another chronic pain problem so am already taking strong morphine based pain killers but this pain feels indestructible sometimes!
I am sure this is an old question but is cod liver oil worth a try? At this point would be willing to try anything pretty much so long as its not too looney!!
Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello arniemouse

Welcome to our forum. Im sure you will find lots of advice and support from our members.

We also have a helpline that can give you lots of help and information 0808 800 4050.

There is some information on our website relating to diet, exercise and supplements https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/healthy-eating-and-arthritis

Good luck

Sharon T
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi arniemouse
    And a warm welcome to the forum, Im afraid its what work for one doesn't for another..so you should give it a go
    Like you I can take antiinflams and boy did I miss them when they were taken away, I have tried most things but dont always stay with them long enough...the one thing you must do is gentle exercise, but this has to be done most days..I have had both hips replaced, but struggle with other joints so I am trying Turmeric out at the min..will report back in a month or two.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi, it won't do you any harm but it won't achieve what I suspect you want. Once joints are damaged they stay damaged - I have an auto-immune arthritis and the damage that caused led to osteo. I do occasionally take an anti-inflammatory but I am more likely to apply it topically, using creams or gels. I've never had any trouble with that but you must check with your GP. Have you had your asthma medication reviewed? Mine is well-controlled with my inhalers but I have to admit that the immuno-suppressant drugs for my psoriatic arthritis have also helped matters. That's a rusty cheap-silvered lining to a rather dark cloud. :roll:

If you are already on strong pain relief for another condition then your body is used to it, it grows to tolerate what it is given and demands more for the same 'relief'. Your GP is the one to advise on that. I can understand your surprise at the lack of 'options' for osteo arthritis, having to wait until things are sufficiently bad before surgery is considered. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi and welcome from me, too.

I think cod liver oil is something that used to be thought helpful for osteo but not rheumatoid. Now I think that assessment has been reversed :roll:

Arthritis Care's sister organisation, ARUK, has produced a comprehensive booklet on complementary therapies. As I recall, turmeric is the best for OA but (a) don't take my word for it and (b) ifg you're planning on taking any complementary therapies do check first with your pharmacist that they won't interact with prescribed meds. https://tinyurl.com/y8wx5gmk

To be honest, if morphine-based meds aren't cutting the mustard, I can't see any complementary meds doing much but, as DD says, we develop a tolerance of opioids so they become less effective so you might want to have a go.

Your GP is almost right. It's pain relief then surgery but the best options are what we can do for ourselves - exercise and diet. They really do help. Check out Arthritis Care's section on them. https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • arniemouse
    arniemouse Member Posts: 3
    Thanks very much for your warm welcome. Guess I am clutching at straws to find some relief from this persistent pain! Will check with GP cause I think it can mess up warfarin.
    I can't believe how the pain can keep going. I have just changed the medication to see if a new one helps. It makes it just about bearable except when using hands and touching the joints and when walking. Drying my hands is horrible.
    I was going to say an OT friend recommended sticky bandages for my hands. Can buy them at chemists and you can cut a strip and wind round a particualry bad finger attatching it to the one next to it. Allows some movement but also supports it as well.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Pain is an alarm system: something hurts, we sort it out and it stops. Simples.

Not for us.

My pain began in 1997 and became far easier to live with once nothing felt pain-free. When it was affecting between one to four joints it was difficult because it stood out so much but now, with around forty, it's the norm. I've recently pulled the muscles down the left hand side of my rib cage and welcomed the different pain because it took my mind off the rest of it. For those who have a limited amount of OA life can become very different with a joint replacement or two but for others it is not so straightforward. It is the Japanese Knotweed or our lives. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    As well as looking at the (reputable) information about the pros and cons, it might also be worth thinking about what you hope alternatives might achieve, and over what time scale.
    I know a couple of people who've found turmeric helpful in making knee joints more comfortable, but it wasn't dramatic or quick. It may be that some things are good for the function of a particular body part(perhaps reducing inflammation or deterioration) but that won't necessarily translate into removing or reducing pain - but might prevent it getting worse.
    And as barbara says, what works for one doesn't for another - same as drugs!