Non-slip bathroom flooring

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 29. Jan 2018, 04:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
The ridged kind. I know nothing about it but we will shortly be getting some to curtail my post-ablution skating habit.

I've heard it's difficult to clean. Is it? And, if so, is it wiser to go for a light or dark colour?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The vinyl I had put down 3 years ago when my current house was renovated has a textured surface which is effective in the anti-slip department but a pain(literally!) to clean.I had assumed that limited use,(single person household) no outdoor footwear indoors, and regular passes with a suitable mop would be sufficient, but low winter light angles indicate this has not proved to be the case and I'm now having to tackle it bit by bit on hands and knees with either a heavy-duty micro-fibre cloth or, by the sink with a nailbrush(scrubbing brushes have very hard bristles and I worry about damaging the surface) to get to a more uniform colour back - and then try and make sure I keep on top of it.
    It may be that if I favoured using household cleaners and elbow grease frequently this wouldn't have become a problem, but both those things bring their own unwelcome problems....
    As a matter of interest do you not use a bath mat? Surface water causing aquaplaning can happen on anti-slip surfaces, although not nearly to the same degree.
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    I use Astonish Daily Shower Spray in my bathroom on the walls, shower and bath, and it's incredible. I think it would keep such flooring pretty clean too. It doesn't seem to have any reactions with any particular materials, and I'm pretty sure I've got it on the towels and bath mat at some point with no adverse effects, but I think spot testing for damage and slipperiness would be advisable.
  • stickywicket
    Crikey, daffy, that's scary :shock: I can't remember hands and knees but it won't happen ever again.

I do use a bathmat but it's currently the two steps between the mat and the door that are the problem(s). The door won't open with the mat in front of it and I've tried shuffling the mat with me but that's even more scary.

Anyway the floor will go in as it's part of a shower installation which my lovely social care people are part-funding. I'm just wondering how to clean it in advance.

Littlemimmy, I already buy a daily shower cleaner for the tiles above the bath and the curtain. Hadn't thought of the floor too. It might work. Thanks.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Might be worth asking the fitters for cleaning advice, or contacting the manufacturer, to find out what product and/or mop they suggest? It wouldn't surprise me if there was a tie-up like there is with certain brands of washing powder 'recommended by' Bosch, Hotpoint, or whatever, and at least that way if there are problems you can say that you are doing what they recommend.
    So far the deepclean plus more frequent and vigorous cleaning seems to be at least keeping the floor looking more uniform, but it's certainly harder work than my previous vinyl, which had a matt surface rather than the texture of this one.It's probably time to give serious consideration to a cleaner coming in periodically, as grotty hands and a ropey back make cleaning rather a superficial affair now.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've had two thoughts: one is a rubber broom to massage in any cleaning solution which could then be 'rinsed' by the same item with clean water. The other is a floor steam cleaner but that would have to be checked with the installer as to its suitability. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    I fully intend to ask the fitters, daffy, but steam cleaning does seem to be popular. (Thanks, DD.)

Daffy, I had a cleaner until Mr SW retired and decided he could do it. Indeed he can but he has a lot of blind spots :roll: I suggest you go for it. Backs are precious. I know of two people who have different cleaners. Both sets of cleaners are Polish and regard it as a profession, whizzing round the house and cleaning for lots of people. I always ended up with someone local who cleaned just for me. Lovely people but I always seemed to be their agony aunt. Not ideal
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I had a wet floor installed for my parents, all non-slip with slightly raised texture, it worked fine until mum got scared of the glass partition. If you don't change the shower tray as well then you step from the non-slip floor onto a slippery tray, fun and games! I had one look at what my parents had installed and raised my eyes to the skies!

Right, I've gotta go and see my mum in hospital, #neck of femur! Don't ask!
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I've got anti-slip vinyl in my bathroom - never had any problems cleaning it. I use a mop/bucket. Or just a wet cloth with my foot ... Standard household multi-purpose floor cleaner.

My late parents' bathroom was converted into a wet-room by Social Services. That had a "tanked" floor (the waterproof floor covering came up to skirting board level). That was only ever cleaned with a mop/bucket or my cloth with foot method.

I suspect the installers will guide re how the floor covering needs to be cared for. I hope your new bathroom proves to be helpful to you Sticky.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    I am cautiously confident :D Thank you.

The shower will be terrific as all the controls are so easy to work even for my fingers.
    Steven Wright