Im a newbie here :)

Landgull36uk
Landgull36uk Member Posts: 68
edited 28. Jan 2018, 11:12 in Say Hello Archive
Hello all.

Im new to this forum, im a 36 yr old man I decided to join because a few days ago I tested positive for (possible) rheumatoid arthritis. Its a bit difficult to explain but the doctor said the rheumatoid levels were on the high side but he also said that this does not mean I have rheumatoid arthritis. I have a MRI scan on monday morning and im hoping everything will be a bit clearer and possibly find out what kind of arthritis I have :| I have pain in my lower back which makes it difficult for me to sit for any length of time and I have pain in my left shoulder which is a scapular shoulder. I also find it difficult to wear comfortable underwear and trousers and even shoes. I have to cut the elastic waistband on my boxer shorts just to wear them and i wear elasticated jogging trousers because I cant stand anything tight around my waist tends to make me feel sick and bloated. Im somewhat of a mess at the moment but hopefully over these next few weeks things will get sorted for the better.

One more thing I do like to have a drink at the weekend in the way of beer, I only drink 1 night a week or even once a fortnight sometimes. I have heard that I might have to give up drinking while on long term drugs to treat my problem is this true? I would hate to think I couldn't enjoy a beer sometimes :(

Thanks for accepting me :)
Just keep swimming ;)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome to the forum. You will certainly get the support you are looking for here.

I note that you are to have an MRI scan on Monday, hopefully as you say you will get the answers you are looking for.

You don't say whether you are able to work as it must be difficult to get comfortable clothing. I wonder if it is something else causing the bloating, perhaps you are sensitive to something. This could be another area for you to research or speak to your doctor about.

Our web site
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis offers such a lot of information.

There are plenty of people in the forums who are incredibly supportive and will be able to offer you suggestions and ideas.

Do keep posting and please let us know how you get on at your MRI

warmest wishes

Denise
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Landgull

Nice to meet you sorry you are having such troubles and hope you get a diagnosis very soon and can start some treatment to improve things.

I wanted to answer you drinking query in my non-expert way!

Each medication is different for a start and obviously alcohol with some of them is a no-go, but your Dr will tell you if it would be dangerous.

With a lot of them however it is safe to drink in moderation (many of us do on here including me!). Always check with your Dr or pharmacist if you are in doubt.

Some medications can affect things like your liver so you could be advised to stay off alcohol for a while when you first start them. Blood tests can confirm how well your system is coping with the medication.

Best of luck and keep posting - it helps!

Toni x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Landgull and welcome from me too.

Your GP is quite right. People can have relatively high rheumatoid factor levels without having the disease. They can also have very low levels and have the disease. It's complicated. The test is only a very rough indicator.

I have no idea what a 'scapular shoulder' is. I thought we all had scapular joints. I've had RA for very many years in virtually every joint in my body and shoulders can be particularly painful as it's hard to get them into a restful position.

The clothes problems don't ring any bells at all. I don't suppose you've been taking any medication - prescribed or over the counter or supplements - which might be causing tummy problems? Is your GP aware of this?

I'm another who likes the odd drink - mostly a glass of wine with my evening meal. If you are on most RA meds you'll be OK for a small amount but not at first as the meds, like alcohol, can affect the liver and it's essential to establish that they're not doing so. Our regular blood tests are very important.

Do let's know how you get on. I hope it's not RA but it's best to know and get it treated.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Landgull36uk
    Hello Moderator and Frogmorton.

Thanks for the replys and kind words I shall definitely take note of them :)

In reply to the Moderator, finding comfortable clothing for work is not really a problem because i work from home thankfully its just a matter of finding comfortable regular clothes especialy when it comes to underwear and trousers. Shoes can also be a problem, you see if they dont feel comfortable it puts pressure on my left side of my back. The work i do from home involves sitting infront of a computer for a length of time and of course having back trouble i have to get up and walk about from time to time to releave the pressure on my back :)

In reply to Frogmorton, thanks for the advice and im pleased to here i will still be able to have a moderate drink occasionly. Lately ive been drinking alot of the cheaper lagers and i have been known to over do it at times :oops: so it looks as though those days will be over when i start my meds which i honestly dont mind. I will also take into seriouse consideration about leaving my drink off for a bit while im adjusting to my meds if and when i recieve them. I will also talk to my doctor about this issue when the time comes and hopefully we can work something out to benefit both my problem and for me to enjoy a slurp occasionly :mrgreen:

Thanks again :)
    Just keep swimming ;)
  • Landgull36uk
    Hi Landgull and welcome from me too.

Your GP is quite right. People can have relatively high rheumatoid factor levels without having the disease. They can also have very low levels and have the disease. It's complicated. The test is only a very rough indicator.

I have no idea what a 'scapular shoulder' is. I thought we all had scapular joints. I've had RA for very many years in virtually every joint in my body and shoulders can be particularly painful as it's hard to get them into a restful position.

The clothes problems don't ring any bells at all. I don't suppose you've been taking any medication - prescribed or over the counter or supplements - which might be causing tummy problems? Is your GP aware of this?

I'm another who likes the odd drink - mostly a glass of wine with my evening meal. If you are on most RA meds you'll be OK for a small amount but not at first as the meds, like alcohol, can affect the liver and it's essential to establish that they're not doing so. Our regular blood tests are very important.

Do let's know how you get on. I hope it's not RA but it's best to know and get it treated.

Hello Stickywicket :)

Thanks for the reply and tips. I have seen a doctor about my tummy problem and i do seem to suffer from alot of acid indegestion and i take Omeprazole to control the problem. I used to take another version called Lansoprazole 30mg i came off them because i found that they had alot of unpleasent long term side effects from them.

Ive also found a bit of info for you about my winged scapula: https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/section/492

I'll be sure to keep you all posted about what has happened on monday.

Just keep swimming ;)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thanks for the info and the link. It's interesting though I'm not sure I've understood it well.

I take omeprazole too and used to take lansop before they changed it (only because my dose needed increasing at the time and two omep daily were permitted but two lansop weren't. Have you had an endoscopy / colonoscopy to investigate your stomach problems?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Landgull36uk
    Thanks for the info and the link. It's interesting though I'm not sure I've understood it well.

I take omeprazole too and used to take lansop before they changed it (only because my dose needed increasing at the time and two omep daily were permitted but two lansop weren't. Have you had an endoscopy / colonoscopy to investigate your stomach problems?

I find scapula problem a bit strange myself, something to do with a nerve linked to the scapula muscles that gets damaged. One of the reasons i came off lansop was because i have a problem with my white blood cells and i thought maybe the lansop could have been having a effect on them. Anyway yes i have had the unfortunate experience of having a endascope and it turned out to be all clear. It wasn't the most unpleasent experience ive had but i wont be rushing to have it again.
    Just keep swimming ;)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello and a warlm welcome form me..we always say its good to talk to people that understand some of what you are going through..so I am glad you have joined us..sorry I cant help with any advice on the meds you might be put on ...but many years ago there were no such meds...and they have helped many..please let us know how you get on..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Landgull36uk
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hello and a warlm welcome form me..we always say its good to talk to people that understand some of what you are going through..so I am glad you have joined us..sorry I cant help with any advice on the meds you might be put on ...but many years ago there were no such meds...and they have helped many..please let us know how you get on..

Thanks for the welcome i'll gladly let you know :)
    Just keep swimming ;)