Could (RA) Effect the Pancreas

Options
Landgull36uk
Landgull36uk Member Posts: 68
edited 28. Jan 2018, 11:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello :)

Does anyone know if reuhmatoid arthritis can effect the pancreas? Sometime back i had a ultrasound on my abdominal area of my body and they found that i had a bulky pancreas. They were thinking of probraby doing some exploratory surgery on me to see what could have been causing the problem but thankfully the surgeon didn't think it was serious enough to go ahead with it. Im wondering whether (RA) could cause this bulkiness in my pancreas.

Thanks.
Just keep swimming ;)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't know if RA could affect the pancreas (I know it can affect other organs after some time) or whether the meds we take might, but other health issues not connected to arthritis will still arrive because they can, regardless of our already having one condition. The term 'bulky' isn't very helpful, is it? Did they clarify in anyway what they meant? Perhaps you have a naturally large pancreas or there could be inflammation but surely that would show in your blood tests. Hey-ho, I don't know! :) I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Landgull36uk
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I don't know if RA could affect the pancreas (I know it can affect other organs after some time) or whether the meds we take might, but other health issues not connected to arthritis will still arrive because they can, regardless of our already having one condition. The term 'bulky' isn't very helpful, is it? Did they clarify in anyway what they meant? Perhaps you have a naturally large pancreas or there could be inflammation but surely that would show in your blood tests. Hey-ho, I don't know! :) I wish you well. DD

The experts basicly said that the head of the pancreas was a bit bulky, they never said how or why. This was the reason why they were thinking of doing exploratory surgery on me. Just wondered whether anyone with (RA) had a similar thing happen to them. This happened a few years back now so its probrably nothing. Like you said if there was anything wrong with my pancreas it would show up in my blood tests, i dont know maybe just me worrying about nothing :)
    Just keep swimming ;)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    RA can affect internal organs but usually it doesn't and, when it does, I think the lungs are the more usual ones. I think you'd be singularly unfortunate if RA had given you pancreatic problems before you'd even got a proper diagnosis of it.

But we can, of course, get such problems not caused by the RA. If you think this is what's giving you so much grief with your clothes hurting maybe it's time to go back tó the docs and get that 'bulky pancreas' checked out again. You could do with being as fit as possible if you'll be taking meds for the arthritis.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Landgull36uk
    Options
    RA can affect internal organs but usually it doesn't and, when it does, I think the lungs are the more usual ones. I think you'd be singularly unfortunate if RA had given you pancreatic problems before you'd even got a proper diagnosis of it.

But we can, of course, get such problems not caused by the RA. If you think this is what's giving you so much grief with your clothes hurting maybe it's time to go back tó the docs and get that 'bulky pancreas' checked out again. You could do with being as fit as possible if you'll be taking meds for the arthritis.

Well if there is any issues happening in my abdominal area it should be detected on monday when i have my MRI scan because i will hopefully be having a full body scan. Personaly monday cannot come soon enough, these past few days have done nothing but drag through the fact that im a little worried and nervous about it. You might say not to be nervous but its something i cant help because i do suffer from social anxiety. Anyway i'll just have to wait and see :|
    Just keep swimming ;)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Any hospital procedure is unsettling no matter how confident one may appear. Sometimes a great deal depends on what is happening - for the staff it's a routine matter but for us? Nuh-uh, anything but. Good luck tomorrow and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Landgull36uk
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Any hospital procedure is unsettling no matter how confident one may appear. Sometimes a great deal depends on what is happening - for the staff it's a routine matter but for us? Nuh-uh, anything but. Good luck tomorrow and please let us know how you get on. DD

Thank You I will :)
    Just keep swimming ;)