Hospital Visit Update

Landgull36uk
Landgull36uk Member Posts: 68
edited 3. Feb 2018, 01:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all.

Ive been to see a nice lady today at reumatology, after asking questions and me explaining to her where my aches and pains are she started to examine my back. Before we get to that i'll just explain what i said to her: I mentioned that i have a scapular of the left shoulder, I have pain in my lower left back and pain in my left hip and knee. She also asked if i suffered from psoriasis and i said yes ive had it in the past. She also asked what sort of pain i get and i said it was more like pressure pain when im in bed or sitting.

Examination: I had to undress down to my underwear :shock: then she started to examine my back. First thing she noticed is that i have a curviture of the spine and she noticed my shoulder was slightly higher than the other, she then started to test my reflexes which were ok. Then she began bending my legs asking if i felt any discomfort, she tried my left leg and where my hip was it felt uncomfortable but not really painfull. After the examination and a few other questions she came to some sort of conclusion.

Conclusion: She didn't think it was rheumatoid arthritis but scoliosis of the spine, although she did mention spondylitis. She also said that there were hundreds of types inflammatory arthritis. After that she didn't recommend having a MRI scan but a few xrays on my top and bottom spine and hips also to have a blood test to go with it. So the conclusion maybe that i have Scoliosis of the spine and its seems ive had it for many years since i was a child and just not noticed it until in these recent 4 or 5 years. Maybe I do have inflammatory arthritis in my spine and hip and thats what has bought this scoiliosis to my attention and the blood test was probrably to determine what that was. I'll leave a link to some info about scoliosis: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/scoliosis/

So thats what happened not quite fully there yet to a full conclusion or what the inflammatory arthritis bit is but we are getting there slowly and hopefully this blood test and xray will bring a propper conclusion :)
Just keep swimming ;)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thank you for the update, are you pleased it's over? From your other posts I was wondering whether scoliosis might be on the cards but there still remains the possibility of an arthritic component, whether it's OA because of joints being out of kilter or an auto-immune is yet to be determined but I think you have moved further forward and I hope it seems like it to you.

I'm very tired so won't say more at the mo but if I have any further thoughts (and brighten up) I'll be back. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Thankyou for the update..must say the rheumy sounds to be very good and thorough, this makes a difference when you know you are taken seriously..I do know that scoliosis effects your gait..so maybe that has caused the pain in your hips and knees...hopefully when your bloods come back they are clear of any inflammation..but they should be repeated regular..good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • Landgull36uk
    edited 29. Jan 2018, 15:28
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Thank you for the update, are you pleased it's over? From your other posts I was wondering whether scoliosis might be on the cards but there still remains the possibility of an arthritic component, whether it's OA because of joints being out of kilter or an auto-immune is yet to be determined but I think you have moved further forward and I hope it seems like it to you.

I'm very tired so won't say more at the mo but if I have any further thoughts (and brighten up) I'll be back. DD

Hello :)

As you have pointed out there is that arthritic bit to it to be found out yet so its not quite over yet but i am a little closer to a definitive answer. To be honest i was hoping i would have had answer today and an idea of what meds i will have to take. I know i will be getting some Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) but i wanted to know what sort drugs i need for arthritis if i have it. Anyway i'll let you all know about that once ive had some news about it.

Have a nice rest and i hope you feel better :)
    Just keep swimming ;)
  • Landgull36uk
    barbara12 wrote:
    Thankyou for the update..must say the rheumy sounds to be very good and thorough, this makes a difference when you know you are taken seriously..I do know that scoliosis effects your gait..so maybe that has caused the pain in your hips and knees...hopefully when your bloods come back they are clear of any inflammation..but they should be repeated regular..good luck

Hello :)

Yes the rheumy was very good and nice aswell, more or less spotted the problem the moment she looked at my back.

Scoliosis effects my gait, dare i ask what my gait is?

Not sure about the inflammation if there were know inflammation i dont think i would be getting pain, we'll have to see though.

Just keep swimming ;)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Gait is the word used to describe one's style of walking; I have two distinct styles now, one arthritic and one trying hard not to be!

Thank you for your good wishes, they are much appreciated. I rested and felt better but it's the end of another day and I have slumped as I always do. :) I am twenty one years in and it's taking its toll. :roll: As for the meds you may end up taking they will be either NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as naproxen or DMARDs (disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs) such as methotrexate or perhaps both. I am a firm believer in not crossing bridges until they are reached so let's wait and see, yes? It's the DMARDs that require us to stop alchohol for a while because they are powerful and can adversely affect the liver. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    To be honest i was hoping i would have had answer today and an idea of what meds i will have to take. I know i will be getting some Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) but i wanted to know what sort drugs i need for arthritis if i have it.

If you have osteo then the NSAIDS, possible with pain relief, will be what you are prescribed. If you have an inflammatory form of arthritis then DMARDS will probably feature. I hope you find out before long. Please keep us in the loop.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Landgull36uk
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Gait is the word used to describe one's style of walking; I have two distinct styles now, one arthritic and one trying hard not to be!

Thank you for your good wishes, they are much appreciated. I rested and felt better but it's the end of another day and I have slumped as I always do. :) I am twenty one years in and it's taking its toll. :roll: As for the meds you may end up taking they will be either NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as naproxen or DMARDs (disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs) such as methotrexate or perhaps both. I am a firm believer in not crossing bridges until they are reached so let's wait and see, yes? It's the DMARDs that require us to stop alchohol for a while because they are powerful and can adversely affect the liver. DD

Sorry to hear that your illness is taking its toll but i suppose we have no other choice but to keep going. I must admit the pain in my back and hip is getting me down and im taking Co-codamol 30/500mg to ease the discomfort and they are not the best kind of pain relief to take because they can also make you feel unwell mentaly and physicly. Its been knearly a week since i went to the hopsital and i havn't heard much yet. I understand that strong anti-inflammatory drugs arn't much better than Co-codamol but atleast they havn't got the codiene in them which can be very addictive and i hear that withdrawal symptons from codiene can be pretty unpleasent. Anyway see what happens in the coming days.
    Just keep swimming ;)
  • Landgull36uk
    To be honest i was hoping i would have had answer today and an idea of what meds i will have to take. I know i will be getting some Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) but i wanted to know what sort drugs i need for arthritis if i have it.

If you have osteo then the NSAIDS, possible with pain relief, will be what you are prescribed. If you have an inflammatory form of arthritis then DMARDS will probably feature. I hope you find out before long. Please keep us in the loop.

I'll gladly let you know whats happening as soon as i hear something :)
    Just keep swimming ;)