I'm pain-relief free!

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 31. Jan 2018, 11:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
I managed to squash and bruise one of my rib / spine joints while in bed, in hospital (I know :roll: , but I like to be different) last October. I thought I'd just tweaked a muscle which has happened before during times of little or no exercise.

But this didn't go away and, when I got home and tried sleeping flat as usual (as opposed to propped up) I actually screamed when I tried to sit up. It felt like summat was tearing.

There followed about 10 more days of sleeping propped up.

Just before Christmas, with multi-prompts from the family, I booked in with a physio to ensure it was nothing more serious than a tweaked muscle. She was lovely, diagnosed the 'squash 'n bruise' along with a knot of inflammation in a spot that had come out in sympathy, and gave me some exercises which did help but didn't cure.

It was a very careful Christmas with me pacing myself to a ridiculous extent and, as far as possible, avoiding hard dining chairs.

Mr SW has been a model of restraint as January is when we normally book our flights to see our son but 10-11 hours on a plane has seemed a long, long way off.

I think, by New Year, most of my family stopped believing me when I said things were getting better albeit annoyingly slowly.

But, last week, I dared to get back on my I-Joy Ride exercise machine, every other day at first but for slightly longer each day.

Today I finally managed to start the day without cocos. And I've continued without them, promising myself I could have some with my next cuppa / meal if necessary. I know now I won't have any until I go to bed tonight because things have always been much easier when I'm sitting in my comfy recliner with a pillow to my back. And I can do that once I've cooked tea.

I really, finally, am getting there :D

And the young 'un's baseball has just started :D:D:D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yay :D:D:D:D:D well done on being patient and persistent- now you can start to look forward to that flight to enjoy your family time.

Deb xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Pacing and patience is always effective when recovering but being able to apply both over such a long period of time is far from easy - well done! :D DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Well done SW you have had such a rough time lately..even rougher then normal..so glad the pain has eased..now onward and upwards.. :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Good for you Sticky. I'm delighted to hear you are feeling brighter and your pain levels have dropped.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Good news SW, mind you I bet England's performance (lack of?) in the recent Ashes tour didn't help with your recovery.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thank you, everyone. Of course, yesterday and today have been a different story but I now know that I can do a full day without and the trend is upwards.

Slosh - the one-dayers made up for test side :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright