Two down, two to go

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 2. Feb 2018, 13:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well it's the halfway point in my NHS appointment marathon and so far, so good.
Discharged from pain management, Gabepentin and the physio are working and knowing that my retirement has been agreed have really helped.
Endocronolgy today, very friendly female consultant and a rather attractive 3rd yr medical student -male.

She was laughing about my GPs referral letter and said my referral was one of the more bizarre ones she had recieved!
Anyway, medical history and a brief examination later her conclusion was that she really had no idea why my FCG levels were high but thought it might just be a false positive. To be sure she sent me for a load of blood tests and will see me in 4 months, with the proviso that if they show up anything she will write to me if I need further tests.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• Landgull36uk
    Landgull36uk Member Posts: 68
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Slosh wrote:
    Well it's the halfway point in my NHS appointment marathon and so far, so good.
    Discharged from pain management, Gabepentin and the physio are working and knowing that my retirement has been agreed have really helped.
    Endocronolgy today, very friendly female consultant and a rather attractive 3rd yr medical student -male.

She was laughing about my GPs referral letter and said my referral was one of the more bizarre ones she had recieved!
    Anyway, medical history and a brief examination later her conclusion was that she really had no idea why my FCG levels were high but thought it might just be a false positive. To be sure she sent me for a load of blood tests and will see me in 4 months, with the proviso that if they show up anything she will write to me if I need further tests.

Pleased things are working out nice for you, Happy Retirement when the day comes m0150
    Just keep swimming ;)
  • Slosh
    Thanks, I have been officially retired on ill health grounds since the start of the year.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Glad the appointments are going well Slosh. Welcome to the world of ex teachers!!! I really hope that walking away from the job will prove to be as beneficial for you as it was for me-it's almost 6 years since I took early retirement and I can't imagine just how I'd be getting through the days if I was still in a classroom. As it is I've discovered new hobbies, made a definite effort to walk at least 40 minutes a day to keep me a bit fitter, and seldom feel at the end of my tether as I did in the dark days before I gave up.

Deb xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    This is all sounding positive, Slosh, and it's comforting that she will see you again in four months: false positives are not unknown and it's best to check again. I am pleased that you have been discharged from pain management and I hope you won't need to seek a way back!

Not having to cope with the demands of work makes a huge difference to living our ordinary, every-day lives doesn't it? Mr DD stopped last May and was convinced that by now he would be dong something part-time. He isn't. :lol: Good luck with the next appointments. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Thanks for the kind messages, I've realised I'm so switched off from school that I have no idea when half-term is, other than it being around the end of Feb, and I've realised I'm no longer doing the count down to the next break. I had a bad night last night, partly because my last breast scan was a horrible experience. I just about made it to the clinic from the car park but the staff were very unwilling to arrange a porter and chair for me after (though I insisted), and then got impatient with how long it took me to change (she even barged in afterwards).
    I noticed that the letter asked you to phone in advance if you have a physical disability, I did this, the woman I spoke too was very helpful and my appointment has been moved to 16th Feb and will be a longer one. Result!

So just physio tomorrow and then a break.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    And a well-needed break too! At least things sound good so far.

I hate mammograms and now I have to go to Edinburgh (1 hour) for mine. But still worth it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    I totally agree with you Sticky on the importance of mammograms and would never not go.

Physio went well yesterday, she was really pleased with the improvements she could see and has just added in a couple more to try to strengthen my left arm and relax my shoulder muscles on the right side and I go back in March.

She has also signed me up for a Fitness for life exercise class run by the physio team so into a couple of weeks time I will be off to the gym...but nothing nearly as impressive as DD!
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi slosh I am glad the appointments went well..onward and upward has they say..the gym should be a big help if you have a good PT...good luck with it all..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think I like the idea of 'fitness for life'. I guess I'm not particularly fit for life but I continue to live anyway :wink:

Good luck with it all, Slosh. I'm pleased you have further progress that can be made.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Thank you Sticky, as the ad says "Every little helps".
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I'm pleased that progress is being made and well done to you for keeping on with the exercises (it can be hard to maintain the motivation at times). The classes sound ideal, having physios there is a bonus as they will be checking how things are being done. Believe you me, Slosh, what I get up to in the gym ain't impressive but it's enough for me. Good luck with it all, please let us know how it goes. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    I will do, my new physio is very nice and as I'm now retired I have the time to go.
    I start in a couple of weeks, it also means that if I have any queries before my next physio appt I can ask them.
    Julian of Norwich