Brolley dollies, grid girls and lead on girls

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 1. Feb 2018, 17:30 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've just been watching the breakfast show, they had a guest, berating the use of 'grid girls', 'brolley dollies' and 'lead on girls', I doubt if you will get any equality as long as clothes are different between the sexes.

Have both sexes doing the jobs, dressed in casual or smart non fashion clothes, no excess flesh on show or stop the jobs?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't think it's the clothes that people look at, Airwave. Let's face it, there aren't many of them :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    No the idea is that modern folk want equality, but then where do you stop? Metro men, masculine women?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    How does one define equality? Surely there's more to it than simply receiving equal pay. I guess that social tradition is the reason that males are paid more then females because they were the ones who supported the family whilst the 'little woman' stayed at home and raised the children but that is no longer the norm.

I've never taken any notice of glamour birds (and glamour boys such as those seen on 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown aren't worth the bother) but these are overtly sexualised times. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I think it's also about respect and that women are no longer being prepared to put up with inappropriate behaviour from men. That's not about the clothes women wear but the attitude of men who think it's ok to grab/touch/speak to women in an overtly sexual way, or make them feel vulnerable...(and yes it goes the other way too but that is less frequent).

I once made a formal complaint against a fellow teacher (male), who blocked the door of a stock cupboard I was in (he was quite over weight) and made a comment to me which I found offensive and I felt quite threatened.

Of course men and women should recieve the same pay for doing the same jobs, or jobs of a similar level. However this doesn't always go as the complainents might wish.
    In terms of council employees several years ago Dustbin Men in Birmingham complained about their pay. This led to performance standards being brought in for jobs in councils including Teaching Assistants. The result was an increase in pay for teaching assistants due to the work they did, educational qualifications and skills...however when the same process was applied to the bin men their pay rates initially went down. Not what they wanted.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    Formula One has caved in to media pressure and stopped the 'grid girls', thats more jobs lost to women even for those that were happy doing it?
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    If it's a job that needs doing(sponsor publicity, identifying participants), then why is it limited to pretty young women? If it's just a leftover from the days when male dominated sports/activities seemed to need something to gawp at then arguably not much loss?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Airwave! wrote:
    Formula One has caved in to media pressure and stopped the 'grid girls', thats more jobs lost to women even for those that were happy doing it?

But those jobs are already lost to men whether or not they'd be happy to do them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I agree with Daffy2, if it's a job that is needed then in these days it should be open to men and women.

I must also say I don't see what the problem is with "metro men" and "masculine women", each to their own.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    I would rather we found a middle ground and an easy alliance was found between the sexes.