Me and the Gym.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 6. Feb 2018, 04:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
The deed is done - I am a fully-paid up member of Pure Gym, a nationwide chain and, from my experience of one branch, a pleasant one. :wink: I met my PT this morning, she dealt with all the electronic 'paperwork' and in a moment it was done and dusted. I have an off-peak membership which means I can use the facilities any time between 11pm and 11am which is ideal. I requested disabled access because I may need that on occasion for the rolly. This works out at £4 per week which I think is pretty good value. I know how to adjust all the machinery I use and this morning she showed me the basics with some weights. We began at 3kgs, reduced to 1 due to an outburst of golly goshes then upped to two for bicep curls. I warmed down with a burst on the treadmill, gently inclined to help stretch my Achilles and other bits. Then I went to TKMaxx to buy a padlock for the locker where I can store my stuff.

People are actively encouraged to wipe down the machinery after use so many are wandering about holding packs of anti-bac wipes, including yours truly.

He and me have tentatively hatched a plan - he goes swimming at least twice a week, aiming to get to the pool for 7.30, so I will go to the gym and then we will meet after for breakfast. Yeah, right! :lol: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    :o:D

2-3k? (Writes SW, quickly hiding her 0.5k one.) Well done, you! It'll be hammer throwing and discus next. I can't tell you how impressed I am (but I am nonetheless :D )

KBO as we say in this household :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Wow! That's it.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Wow! That's it.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Good for you DD..I used to love going to the gym..quite a few years ago now ...just wait till you get the feel good factor..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you, everyone, I am certainly feeling something today Barbara, and the feel-good factor ain't it! :lol: My upper body knows it's been doing unusual things but I am sure things will ease, they usually do.

I am planning some unaided walks over the next few days then a return to the gym on Monday, I'm hoping that by then things will have quietened down. DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Golly gosh DD im lost in admiration.Is Mr DD going too ?
  • dreamdaisy
    No he isn't, Mig, in his words 'I've been there and done that.' He has started doing yoga at home, is now thinking about joining a class and he goes swimming at least twice a week (he's in the pool now).

I have started the day with a slow-release trammie, seems like a plan. :) The upper body aches and pains are mainly muscular but the lower body ones definitely not. Hey-ho. DD
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    And does Mr DD actually swim in the pool DD, or float about whilst you're not looking and then start swimming frantically when he realises you are checking up on him?

Shame you've had to start today with meds. :roll:

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    I don't go with him, Grace, he goes very early in the morning but I am sure he does what he says he has! He was home early as there was no heating or hot water at the pool so no showers.

I agree that it is a shame to start the day with something a little stronger but it has helped me to get on with things and that is to the good. It's a better start than tomorrow's will be - an injection, the second of the week. :) Mind you, the weather today is not helping matters being cold and damp, but my little iris are out, daffodils, crocus and snowdrops too, they are cheerful even if I am not! DD
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Whats a gym? Geriatric Youth Maker? Gerry's Yodeling Machine? .....😂😂😂😂
  • dreamdaisy
    The former :wink:

I have my art class tomorrow at 10am but that doesn't mean I can't go at 8am: that's the tentative plan. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Due to inclement weather the gym didn't happen yesterday, the pavements were ice rinks so not worth taking the risk of breaking bones. Today is no better so I am staying in the warm and will shortly be hitting the sitting room floor to spend thirty minutes doing my stretches to the gentle accompaniment of Everybody Loves Raymond. DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Gosh just for a minute thought you were going to hit the bottle :o So impressed with all your hard work.Everybody Loves Raymond hubby loves that programme.