Painkillers

rainbows70
rainbows70 Member Posts: 18
edited 3. Feb 2018, 16:44 in Say Hello Archive
t69044 Hi,

I have osteo pain in right knee and hand. I get so depressed and low at times and also feel guilty taking painkillers. I don't know how to deal with the pain.

What medication regime works best for you?

I take 10mg amitriptyline at night and take co codomol, two low dose tablets during the day and sometimes paracetamol.

I also get paranoid that if I take painkillers regularly, they will eventually cause damage to the body.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi rainbows70
    Welcome to the forum, I am so sorry you are in so much pain,all of us with Arthritis understand pain,and are all on medication for that hoping to control the pain we have.Everyone on the forums are friendly and will talk willingly about arthritis and pain.The most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.we have a helpline 0808 800 4050 if you need to talk to someone
    All the best Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, pain is the bane of our lives, isn't it? Pain killers don't, they merely dull the sharper edges. I began my troubles back in 1997, I take four 30/500 cocodamol per day which leaves me room to increase if necessary - I have tramadol for the more challenging times but won't take anything stronger than that. My main method of pain relief is distraction, I read my Kindle, do puzzles, daydream about nice things or get on with the important business of pampering myself. I have found that for me it's better to take regular small doses, that way I keep on top of the pain. It's still there, twanging away, but not as strongly as it could if I didn't.

I plunged into depression when osteo arthritis was diagnosed in 2011 - I already had an auto-immune version and naively thought you could only have one. I regard my low daily dose of an anti-depressant as essential, the same with the pain relief. Being stronger mentally means I cope better with the every day challenges of living with pain which is hard work, isn't it? It's demoralising, debilitating, frustrating and so unfair but it is, sadly, our reality. I don't feel guilty about taking the meds because they are there to help me get on better and they do. I am also fortunate in that I have had to take meds since I was twelve so for me it's no big deal but if you are coming at this from a healthy background that must make it far harder.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest, we all get it because we've all got it. More people look in on the Living with Arthriits board on here so posting there may gain you more replies. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Babsb
    Babsb Member Posts: 26
    Hi. So sorry you are feeling low. Unfortunately we need help to try and ease the pain. Don't feel guilty about it. I find that if I take a low dose pain killer regularly it helps then if it fairs up I take stronger ones. I don't think anyone of us is absolutely pain free but as DD says there is distractions that we learn to use. I read a lot and love a good film. I used to go to a epp meeting which is expert patient programme. Not sure if there is one by you. They taught us a lot about distractions and how to close the pain gate as they called it. Hope things improve for you. babsb
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Have a chat with your pharmacist, as it might be worth trying a topical treatment, especially for the knee(the hand is more difficult to try and keep cream or gel on!), but which one you try will depend on what other painkillers you are taking.
  • rainbows70
    daffy2 wrote:
    Have a chat with your pharmacist, as it might be worth trying a topical treatment, especially for the knee(the hand is more difficult to try and keep cream or gel on!), but which one you try will depend on what other painkillers you are taking.

Thank you for Responding! :animal_busy:
  • rainbows70
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, pain is the bane of our lives, isn't it? Pain killers don't, they merely dull the sharper edges. I began my troubles back in 1997, I take four 30/500 cocodamol per day which leaves me room to increase if necessary - I have tramadol for the more challenging times but won't take anything stronger than that. My main method of pain relief is distraction, I read my Kindle, do puzzles, daydream about nice things or get on with the important business of pampering myself. I have found that for me it's better to take regular small doses, that way I keep on top of the pain. It's still there, twanging away, but not as strongly as it could if I didn't.

I plunged into depression when osteo arthritis was diagnosed in 2011 - I already had an auto-immune version and naively thought you could only have one. I regard my low daily dose of an anti-depressant as essential, the same with the pain relief. Being stronger mentally means I cope better with the every day challenges of living with pain which is hard work, isn't it? It's demoralising, debilitating, frustrating and so unfair but it is, sadly, our reality. I don't feel guilty about taking the meds because they are there to help me get on better and they do. I am also fortunate in that I have had to take meds since I was twelve so for me it's no big deal but if you are coming at this from a healthy background that must make it far harder.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest, we all get it because we've all got it. More people look in on the Living with Arthriits board on here so posting there may gain you more replies. I wish you well. DD

Thank you for responding!

:animal_busy: