It's the little things... that annoy me!

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can see my post has some supporters, can we add in all those who walk out into the road and open car doors without a thought to the drivers trying very hard not to hit them! Those who look aggrieved when I use my horn to warn them they are in the road and I'm trying very hard to warn them of impending doom! All those who walk in the road because they're on holiday, who push pushchairs out in front of them whilst crossing the road, need I go on......?

and lastly the lycracyclists who refuse to use a cycleway but insist on cycling in the road then keep doing 35mph in the 30 limit and get angry with car drivers who won't overtake despite very rude hand signals.

When I get my electric scooter I'm going to do 3mph in the middle of the road!
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    And people who walk in the road because there's snow or ice on the pavement! No-one wants to fall over, but surely that's preferable to bring hit by a car skidding down the road!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    The pedestrians in the road thing is one of my pet hates too, especially when as a driver you get the dirty looks.

It's on a par with cyclists on the pavement who expect you to get out of the way for them.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My husband, more precisely his complete inability to understand that having a high temperature doesn't mean you load the bed with blankets. He had, he did and now the whole thing on his side is clammy . . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆Warning, Domestic approaching!!!!!!!!!☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

HEADS DOWN EVERYONE!😂😂😂😂😂😂

t2507
  • Quintus
    Quintus Member Posts: 62
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I have more.

Shrieking tennis players, toddlers in restaurants, people who dither (usually at the disembark point on an escalator), those who watch all their shopping go through the till then sort out their bags then pack then begin the hunt for their purse / wallet; slow broadband, people who ring me on my mobile from their mobile whilst they are walking (enough with the puffing and panting), my husband opening crisp packets at the bottom, changing the bedding, Greg Rusedski, opening the bonnet of my car, Robert Peston, tidying up, ITV wrecking sports events with adverts and indifferent pundits, pets' names such as Mr Snookums, Fluffles etc., cats. DD
    Definitely those idiots at the till, totally surprised to find out that they need their purse - at the bottom of their bag. Same for those taking the bus. Plus they try to pay the 1€ ticket with a 50€ bill. I add vipers on my pillow and people with very low cut jeans to show off parts of their anatomy I am mostly not interested to see. And of course compatriots for whom a bin seems to be an unknown object.
  • Slosh
    People who refer to their pets as "fur babies".
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    Please add all the people who keep saying excuse me and barging past me, I know I'm slow but what do they expect, me to stop and stand aside for every person whos faster?
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh Quintus, you find vipers on your pillow? I can't cope with spiders . . . . DD
  • Quintus
    Vipers can cope very well with spiders!
    That happened. But only once.
    Chewing-gum in the streets!
  • Slosh
    Chewing gum, anywhere, especially when someone is chewing while talking. Or just chewing.
    Julian of Norwich
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Oh Quintus, you find vipers on your pillow? I can't cope with spiders . . . . DD
    Wasn't it our much-missed Caliban who had scorpions to contend with?
    Spiders I can deal with, although on/under my pillow(has happened) can be a bit of a surprise.
  • Airwave!
    Lavender is the answer to scorpions, I beieve.

Please add everyone who says 'so' at the start of a sentance!
  • Airwave!
    Lavender is the answer to scorpions, I believe.

Please add everyone who says 'so' at the start of a sentance!
  • Quintus
    Lavender against scorpions? Really? I definitely have to try the lavender thing against scorpions. Never heard it before!
  • Quintus
    I am totally convinced that future archeologists and historians will be convinced that the invention of chewing gum was the beginning of the end of our civilisation. Have you ever been confronted with a cow? A chewing cow? Lovely eyes and all? But any kind of sophisticated conversation somehow restricted? Same thing with some human being. Chewing
    Gum. Probably nice eyes. Moving jaws. But totally stupid. Nothing to be done. Simply stupid. It chews gum. That is all. No conversation possible. They are millions. The great void. "The grand parade of lifeless packages.. " 😊
  • Slosh
    Quintus, I couldn't agree more with you on the blight to our society that is chewing gum.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Quintus
    I think we all agree about chewing gum. Back to the topic:
    You are stuck in a traffic jam in your tuktuk somewhere in India. And a cow
    Sticks it's head into your tuktuk, accompanied by a colony of thousands of flies. Annoying! Definitely.
  • Quintus
    Ps:I love India. I really like to be in India. I love to be with my Indian friends. So no harm meant concerning the cow head in a traffic jam tuktuk. Simply a true experience. Nothing but.
    But anyway: annoying!
  • Airwave!
    Yep, a thin cardboard tray of lavender on window sills (inside!) Keeps the scorpions out. As per Peter Mayles life in the Dordogne.
  • daffy2
    Airwave! wrote:
    Yep, a thin cardboard tray of lavender on window sills (inside!) Keeps the scorpions out. As per Peter Mayles life in the Dordogne.

Seems a bit odd for a creature that I thought spends a lot of its time at floor level finding hidey holes such as shoes...but who am I to argue with Mr Mayle(the late now I believe?)
  • Quintus
    😊. They do grimpe up walls and all. And yes- they simply LOVE shoes!😊. Never step into a shoe without checking. I prefer flip- flops, anyway!
  • dreamdaisy
    The word artisan.

People who say 'I've heard off John, he can't come.' No you haven't, you've heard from John. :x DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    DD, I have every sympathy. It annoys me too but I think we are wrong.

It was the philosopher Wittgenstein who wrote "The meaning of a word is it's use in the language." And, as my History of the Language prof used to say "Language evolves."

I do regret that, with the speed of modern communications, language sometimes evolves owing to misheard or misunderstood constructions but it still evolves.

I recall, when at school (Yes, I do :lol: ) the very eminent French dictionary people, Larousse, were ridiculed because they were such purists they wouldn't admit any foreign words. I accept that 'le sandwich' and 'le corner kick' sound ugly but people can't be forced into speaking as we would wish.

(More's the pity :lol: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    I recall, when at school (Yes, I do :lol: ) the very eminent French dictionary people, Larousse, were ridiculed because they were such purists they wouldn't admit any foreign words. I accept that 'le sandwich' and 'le corner kick' sound ugly but people can't be forced into speaking as we would wish.
    Larousse would just have been doing what the Academie francaise required of them. Said Academie has a far more uphill struggle these days...
    'I've heard off John, he can't come.'
    Well cors that's wrong, he orter say "Oi've heard off of Jarhn"...
    as they might say in these parts.
    What people say may be 'incorrect' for reasons other than simply lack of education. I tend to be less bothered by that than the incorrect use or spelling of words, and incorrect punctuation,as both of those can alter meaning.