Bad news on hand sanitisers

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 13. Feb 2018, 09:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
They're no good unless they contain at least 60% alcohol. And at least one of the common ingredients is positively dangerous.

Oh *%~*$*!! What are us auto-immuners supposed to do? Waste a good bottle of whisky :shock:

https://tinyurl.com/hsbkcvk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hand sanitisers have been problematic for quite some time. The ingredients(mostly the alcohol I believe) are skin irritants, and that was why they were taken away when I was working on a fresh food counter and we went back to soap and water. It's also one of the reasons they were taken out of many hospital and other situations(together with the fact they were just not as effective as had been assumed).
    Access to soap and hot water has its limitations(!), and so the whole issue is a real headache for all who need to avoid germy hands. I suspect it's a case of unsatisfactory is better than nothing, but then as with the flu jab there is the problem of false sense of 'security'.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I quite agree, daffy. The article did say that soap and water was the best (used correctly) but that that's not always possible. It also said, I believe, that hand sanitisers are least effective when used on dirty hands so I guess small boys are sanitiser proofed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright