Reactive arthritis info

Options
grid
grid Member Posts: 40
edited 13. Feb 2018, 09:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

I have been diagnosed reactive arthritis. Has anyone had it longer than 6 months as from what I have read it usually goes around then. It’s my 7th month now and I have had a flare up. I am positive but I am not sure in the diagnoses as I have not had an infection which usually causes reactive arthritis but did have servere dysentery for couple of months. And my pain seems symmetrical which I’ve read is usually associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
Has anyone have any experience of reactive arthritis

Comments

• dalek
    dalek Member Posts: 32
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    grid wrote:
    Hi all

I have been diagnosed reactive arthritis. Has anyone had it longer than 6 months as from what I have read it usually goes around then. It’s my 7th month now and I have had a flare up. I am positive but I am not sure in the diagnoses as I have not had an infection which usually causes reactive arthritis but did have servere dysentery for couple of months. And my pain seems symmetrical which I’ve read is usually associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
    Has anyone have any experience of reactive arthritis
    Assume Crohn's or ulcerative colitis has been ruled out?

Sent from my Signature Touch using Tapatalk
  • grid
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for reply

I have had an endoscopy but showed nothing, I am assuming this will eliminate ulcerative colitis? I am not sure what the diagnosis is for Croan disease!
  • dalek
    dalek Member Posts: 32
    Options
    grid wrote:
    Hi

Thanks for reply

I have had an endoscopy but showed nothing, I am assuming this will eliminate ulcerative colitis? I am not sure what the diagnosis is for Croan disease!
    They use the same test for Crohn's so it's not that.
    I have reactive arthritis. It is "reacting" to Crohn's. So it has a name, enteropathic arthritis.
    I have had it 25 years. As yours was a reaction to an illness that has now gone hopefully you will recover soon once your immune system calms down.

Sent from my Signature Touch using Tapatalk
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    It's so hard to deal with indefinite timescales, isn't it? The books might say that ReA usually lasts 6 months but the ReA hasn't read the books and does it's own thing. I'd certainly not suggest you try to forget about it because I do think the docs need to know what's happening - or not - but, as you seem to have had an exceptionally long, difficult bout of dysentry, it makes sense to me that the ReA would continue for longer than usual. When do you next see the doc?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • grid
    Options
    Hi sticky wicket

Thanks for information.

I have not seen doctors for around 4 months now. Not sure what they can do for me. They gave me ibruprofen and some stomachs lining drugs. I seen a private rheumatologist last September who was the one that diagnosed me with ReA.

I don’t like taking drug unless I really have to. But does ibruprofen do anything for me? I can’t say I’m in extreme pain but the pain I have would best described as sprained fingers/toes, like they have been bent back.

What would you do? Go back to doctors or go back private?

Should I be taking ibruprofen! Read somewhere about anti inflammatory tablets are different from painkillers? I’m clueless to this type of thing.

Any help from you or others in the forum.

Ps I know there are much worst off people on this forum and I do appreciate all info given as I would give anyone info if I could give it but I’m such a newbie

Dave
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory med ie it lowers pain by lowering inflammation. But all anti-inflammatories can upset the stomach hence the stomach-protecting med to take also.

There are other pain-relieving meds (I refuse to use the term painkillers as they don't :roll: which aren't anti-inflamms - paracetamol, aspirin, codeine and lots more.

I don't think any of us are qualified to tell you which you need. Is there inflammation or not? The docs might help there.

I know you feel you never had an infection to start with but surely dysentry starts from an infection?

What to do now? Well, I think it could still be ReA and might still go away. The difficult thing is that, if it's not ie if it RA or some other autoimmune form of arthritis, the sooner you're on the right medication the better.

Personally, I think I'd have a chat with my GP to see what (s)he thinks. You could also ask about seeing an NHS rheumatologist. The good side is you'd get another opinion. The bad side - it could be months before you get it. Or, you could just go back to the original, private rheumatologist to see if they think anything might have changed. The GP would probably be able to advise on whether or not you should continue with the ibuprofen, just take it as and when needed or change to pain relieving meds.

Please keep in touch and don't worry about there being others worse off than you. There are many people much worse off than any of us but, unfortunately, that doesn't take away our own pain. If only.... :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • grid
    Options
    Hi

thanks for the reply again.

it may be worth taking the ibruprofen if it relieves the pain.

i agree with the doctors, i think he will just change the meds for something stronger or stick with what i have.
    i am booked into see a Rheumy on NHS but like you said its going to be around a year before seeing one.

i agree with getting on the right treatment asap. but i am sure the a Rheumy is just going to say wait it out as he suspects ReA and there isnt a quick diagnosis so i am probably looking at a year waiting and then a couple of months diagnosis.

last time i had a flare up it was just hands bt now its in my toes and i can feel a niggle in my wrist. so thats all thats changed since i last seen a Rheumy. no swelling or redness.

Dave
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think it would be a good idea to make a note of any new areas or pains and when they happened. Basically anything that would help a rheumatologist to decide what might or might not be going on. That way, you'll have details when you see one.

Uncertainty is very difficult to put up with but sometimes there's no option.
    Steven Wright