Just been diagnosed, few questions

Options
Jbjlover
Jbjlover Member Posts: 3
edited 16. Feb 2018, 04:33 in Say Hello Archive
I’ve just been told yesterday I have arthritis in my back by the doctor. I’ve been on naproxen for 12 months for when my back goes into a spasm. I’ve learnt over the last 12 maths what triggers it, and still it surprises me with a out of the blue spasm. My god childbirth was a breeze compared to these spasms.
It’s early days, doc is saying she’ll see about me going to the local spinal clinic. She’s taking more bloods in 2 weeks. Last 2 readings were 95 and this week 63 she said it should be under 10.
My doc was running behind by 30 mins yesterday and felt like it was a rushed appointment. Upto 18 months ago I was a healthy woman with no health issues and now at 48 yrs old feel more like a woman in my 80’s due to not being able to bend and do certain day to day things.
Rather than wait 2 weeks for some answers from the doctor I thought I’d ask on here.
My question are
1) Itake one naproxen (500mg) every morning, should I take it every night too to help the pain when I spasm. Or take it when I have a spasm.

2) How long do you wait for spinal clinic appointment.

3) I can take co-codamol/codeine as makes me sick what other pain killers have you been offered off doctor as when in spasm naproxen doesn’t touch the pain.

4) Any tips/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forums,
    there are many on here that share a vast array of troubles so I'm sure you will get your answers - in the meantime this leaflet might help
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/managing-pain
    Al
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. In order to give a better targeted reply could you clarify the following, please? When you say doctor do you mean GP or rheumatologist? Do your blood figures refer to inflammatory markers? There are around three hundred kinds of auto-immune inflammatory conditions plus osteo arthritis, as you mention bloods I presume osteo is not the trouble.

We cannot advise you about when or what medication to take, you need to see your GP for that. I have psoriatic and osteo arthritis, for the former I take injected meth and humira, for the latter co-codamol 30/500. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Just a quick reply as I am late already for getting on with other things but I have some experience of back spasms! As it's muscular have you tried warmth to relax the muscle - hot water bottle or shower for instance? - not necessarily as a replacement for the analgesic.
  • Jbjlover
    Jbjlover Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for your reply’s. Yes it’s inflammatory markers for bloods. She said they should be under 10.
    Thanks for all your help and ideas. X
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Thank you for the clarifications, they help. I've had results in the 170s but now, thanks to the right combination of meds, they are often too small to be measured: that's how I know they are working. Please let us know how you get on, as I am fond of saying we all get it because we've all got it (in one form or another, or both). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben