Osteoarthritis - knee - severe patellofemoral degeneration

GillyJay
GillyJay Member Posts: 12
edited 1. Mar 2018, 04:26 in Say Hello Archive
Just saying hello as a new user. I'm 63, female and suffering with osteoarthritis of my left knee which started causing problems last July. After months of physio, a corticosteroid injection and little improvement, I'm contemplating a partial knee replacement. Surgeon says he thinks I only need a partial (knee cap) but could be a full knee replacement. Interested to hear of anyone else having had either. Thanks for reading! m0150

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi and welcome to the forums - there are members on here who have had knee replacements and I'm sure they'd be happy to share any experience with you.
    Al
  • GillyJay
    moderator wrote:
    Hi and welcome to the forums - there are members on here who have had knee replacements and I'm sure they'd be happy to share any experience with you.
    Al
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi GillyJay and welcome from me, too.

I've had both hips and knees replaced but I've had arthritis (rheumatoid and osteo) for many years. I'll gladly help with any questions you may have.

Here is some info on kneecap replacement from the very reliable ARUK site https://tinyurl.com/y9yx33gn . Actually, it's rather unusual to have a kneecap replaced. Normally it's the knee joint itself, sometimes only one component of it. You might like to read up on the side menu of the page I gave you as that might give you a better idea of the different types of knee replacement surgery.

It won't seem like it to you but 6-7 months is not very long to be thinking of surgery. Admittedly steroid jabs are limited in their use and not a long-term solution. I'm sorry you've had no success with physio as that usually helps a lot - cycling and swimming are particularly good.

I can't help much on the 'partial' anything front but I know far more than I ever wanted to about TKRs :lol:

P.S. Questions are best put on the Living With Arthritis forum as more people look on there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I wish I could help but I don't think I can. Both my knees are bone-on-bone and I was refused new knees seven years ago, despite the damage, due to extreme youth (I was then 52, I began with my left knee aged 37)). As things elsewhere are so much worse now I doubt I will bother. One usually has to wait for years for surgery, operations tend not to go ahead until certain levels of damage have been achieved but even that is no guarantee of action.

It's interesting how much an effect this is having on your knee as the kneecap is nothing to do with the joint - it's a purely decorative bit of the body there to protect the ends of the upper and lower leg bones. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GillyJay
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, I wish I could help but I don't think I can. Both my knees are bone-on-bone and I was refused new knees seven years ago, despite the damage, due to extreme youth (I was then 52, I began with my left knee aged 37)). As things elsewhere are so much worse now I doubt I will bother. One usually has to wait for years for surgery, operations tend not to go ahead until certain levels of damage have been achieved but even that is no guarantee of action.

It's interesting how much an effect this is having on your knee as the kneecap is nothing to do with the joint - it's a purely decorative bit of the body there to protect the ends of the upper and lower leg bones. DD
  • GillyJay
    Hi GillyJay and welcome from me, too.

I've had both hips and knees replaced but I've had arthritis (rheumatoid and osteo) for many years. I'll gladly help with any questions you may have.

Here is some info on kneecap replacement from the very reliable ARUK site https://tinyurl.com/y9yx33gn . Actually, it's rather unusual to have a kneecap replaced. Normally it's the knee joint itself, sometimes only one component of it. You might like to read up on the side menu of the page I gave you as that might give you a better idea of the different types of knee replacement surgery.

It won't seem like it to you but 6-7 months is not very long to be thinking of surgery. Admittedly steroid jabs are limited in their use and not a long-term solution. I'm sorry you've had no success with physio as that usually helps a lot - cycling and swimming are particularly good.

I can't help much on the 'partial' anything front but I know far more than I ever wanted to about TKRs :lol:

P.S. Questions are best put on the Living With Arthritis forum as more people look on there.
  • GillyJay
    GillyJay wrote:
    Just saying hello as a new user. I'm 63, female and suffering with osteoarthritis of my left knee which started causing problems last July. After months of physio, a corticosteroid injection and little improvement, I'm contemplating a partial knee replacement. Surgeon says he thinks I only need a partial (knee cap) but could be a full knee replacement. Interested to hear of anyone else having had either. Thanks for reading! m0150

I have to reword this! Just read the info on my forthcoming op and it is a 'uni compartmental replacement'. I think I've misled you all by saying 'knee cap'. Sorry all and thank you for your replies!
  • GillyJay
    moderator wrote:
    Al

Thanks Al
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    GillyJay wrote:
    it is a 'uni compartmental replacement'.

Ah, that makes more sense. Arthritis Research UK has some good info on that https://tinyurl.com/ybacscsz
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GillyJay
    :roll:
    GillyJay wrote:
    it is a 'uni compartmental replacement'.

Ah, that makes more sense. Arthritis Research UK has some good info on that https://tinyurl.com/ybacscsz

Yes, thanks, I've been using that site a lot. It is really useful.