Osteoarthritis neck and spine

Options
Fran20
Fran20 Member Posts: 2
edited 18. Feb 2018, 08:18 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I’m new to asking any questions on forums so please bear with me. I’m a 55year old lorry driver. I’m really struggling with work and I’m getting very little support from my company. I want carry on driving but my spine and neck pain are getting unbearable. The cold winds seem to be getting straight into my bones any help and advice would be very welcome.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Fran and welcome to the Arthritis forums.

So very sorry to hear you are struggling with osteoarthritis pains in the neck and spine. I'm assuming you are undergoing a course of treatment as there is a range of pain relief drugs and advice that is available through your doctor.

The web site has some great articles that can help. Here are a couple:

Osteoarthritis of the neck Factsheet - https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/448-osteoarthritis-of-the-neck

Living with osteoarthritis - https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/223-living-with-osteoarthritis

or you may wish to contact the Arthritis Care Helplines:
    0808 800 4050 Monday to Friday, 9.30am-5pm

I'm sure you will get great support from our lovely forum members who have long experience with arthritis.

All best wishes
    Brynmor
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hiya Fran,

Welcome to the Forum.

I've got OA (osteoarthritis) both knees (one partly replaced, one fully replaced), lumbar and cervical spine, ankle, shoulder and thumb.

If you are employed your employer should make reasonable adjustments, but first of all you need to explain what's going on as until you tell them they won't know. Ask your GP to send you for physio and do the exercises recommended. Keeping arthritic joints moving is important as is pacing yourself. Sadly with arthritis, you soon find out what upsets the joints affected so you either avoid doing that or, do it and grit your teeth afterwards.

I hope being on the Forum helps you.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have OA all over the place (plus another kind of arthritis too) and things are beginning to affect my neck and shoulders. I am fortunate enough to be retired (I was also self-employed) so cannot help at all on the work front: there are many threads about this topic on the Work and Benefits Board on here so that may be worth a read through to find out how others dealt (and were dealt with) in similar situations. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben