A binary choice

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 23. Feb 2018, 10:54 in Community Chit-chat archive
Do you continue to give to Oxfam and similar international charities?

I do not and never have, we pay taxes that go to international aid. I give to local need.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    We have never donated to Oxfam or other international charities and never will: the government sends more than enough financial aid to all and sundry. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I don't see it as an either / or. We pay taxes for local charities too.

The idea that, if we didn't give international aid then we would spend the money on poor UK people is about as realistic as the idea that if we left the EU we would have £350,000,000 per week for the NHS.

I know I am one of the very lucky ones, much of it through pure accident of birth.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I'm with Sticky on this one, my no-no is animal charities, once there are no more children being neglected and abused then I might consider it.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I totally agree I had a shock when I found out the wages these top charity people are on .. :shock: no wonder they are panicking..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The big charities are nothing more than business thinly guised as being something noble. No organisation can guarantee the ethics and morals of every employee and it's hardly surprising that there are those who have taken the opportunity to exploit the misery of others - or that there are those who offer that opportunity. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I donate to my local Hospice. They helped both my late Father and my late Sister. Seems appropriate and they'd be pleased with it.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Apart from donating to my two local hospices (never know when I might need one of them) I also support Arthritis Action and Vasculitis UK which is run by volunteers. I'm also a member of Arthritis Care of course.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein