Shocked after being told I have arthritis

Debbiek
Debbiek Member Posts: 4
edited 27. Feb 2018, 06:30 in Say Hello Archive
Well after going to a&e early December for knee pain, 2 x-rays later and finally a MRI scan, Thursday I got the news I wasn't expecting, we thought I had torn my acl, my consultant told me I have arthritis in my knee and that I would need a knee replacement.

So 3 days later I am just coming to terms with it, so I need to book in with my gp to control my pain etc,

But my main concern is I'm struggling to walk at times and have to use my crutches more and more to support me.

So at the moment I'm at a loss to what to do now or how to handle it.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Debbie and welcome to the Arthritis forums.

Having a Total Knee Replacement (TKR) can be quite a shock but is a common and very successful procedure. Many forum users (and moderators!) have had it done and you can find lots of accounts using our forum search facility:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/search.php?keywords=TKR&terms=all&author=&fid[]=41&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

The web site also has a lot of information, with this page on "Surgery and Arthritis" being a good starting point:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/treatments-aids-and-equipment/surgery-and-arthritis

Do ask lots of questions as I'm sure you will get good advice from our lovely forum members.

All best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi there. It's a lot to take in at first but you'll get there. Your GP can prescribe anti inflammatory meds and pain relief. (Many of us refuse to use the term 'painkillers' as they don't :wink:

Use your crutches by all means if they help. There are lots of other aids about which you might find useful. I've had both knees replaced and I thoroughly recommend the op if you can get it.

Please ask away if you have questions.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    No wonder you are surprised, that must have been a shock if things hadn't been that bad as far as you were concerned. There's a very recent thread on this board by 'kneed' detailing her recent replacement (aimed at people such as yourself) and how successful it has been, I hope that encourages you to go ahead and reclaim your life. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Quintus
    Quintus Member Posts: 62
    I have no idea if this will boost your morale. but my
    mother had a couple of things removed and replaced. She still loves parachuting. The situation is really bad if we let the not so nice situations take over. You will do just fine!

My crutches are called Abélard and Héloïse. And yours?
  • GillyJay
    GillyJay Member Posts: 12
    Debbiek wrote:
    Well after going to a&e early December for knee pain, 2 x-rays later and finally a MRI scan, Thursday I got the news I wasn't expecting, we thought I had torn my acl, my consultant told me I have arthritis in my knee and that I would need a knee replacement.

So 3 days later I am just coming to terms with it, so I need to book in with my gp to control my pain etc,

But my main concern is I'm struggling to walk at times and have to use my crutches more and more to support me.

So at the moment I'm at a loss to what to do now or how to handle

So sorry to hear this DebbieK. Not sure I can help except to offer sympathy. Yours is similar to mine which started last July, initially with the knee giving out without pain and then a few days later it really swelled up and I couldn't bend it but 'give outs' stopped. Sports physio thought I'd torn the meniscus. Doc wouldn't Xray til swelling gone down. Xray in Sept and diagnosis = Severe Patellofemoral Degeneration OA. Had a corticosteroid injection in Oct which gave short relief - about 2 weeks of being able to walk almost normally but then the knee started giving out again! Have to use a stick on bad days and take Naproxen and CoDydramol which numb the pain somewhat and at best good days mean walking with a limp and having to walk slowly, avoid downhill etc. I found that icing the knee and keeping it elevated helped at the start. I'm having uni compartmental knee replacement op in a couple of weeks though if they find more OA during the op they will replace the whole knee. Really feel for you. Like you I couldn't believe that I was ok one day and just a drastic change the next. All so sudden and yes, it is a huge shock when you've kept yourself fit all your life. Focus on the future and the op.