RF numbers, any ideas?

Lisaj79
Lisaj79 Member Posts: 7
edited 21. Feb 2018, 08:56 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all,

I was due to have a gp call me today because he wanted to talk to me about my rheumatoid factor results but when I called this afternoon to chase it I waa told I am actually booked in for a call next Tuesday. The rereceptionist read the go note on my blood test and it said detected 1/160. Does that mean anything to anyone? My symptoms started with joint pain confined to two knuckles but has now spread to all hand joints on both sides, wrists, shoulders, ankles, knees and toes plus a tight feeling around the top of my arm but that's intermittent. I have also developed stabbing pains in the soles of my feet and sometimes my skin feels sore on my arms when I lean on something. There's also intermittent throbbing pain in my joints. It all started in September but that was just one arm, all other symptoms started this year. I have family history of lupus and I had endometriosis which some consider as an autoimmune disease

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, it feels things are getting worse over a short period of time

Lisa x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Lisa another week is a long time to wait for a call-back when you are in pain.

Would you feel brave enough to ring back tomorrow and tell the receptionist how much you are suffering and ask for an earlier call?

Should it be that the GP intends to refer you to someone - the sooner the ball is set rolling the better.

Best of luck

Ellen
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Lisa,

From what I understand, on its own it doesn't mean a great deal although it's relatively high. Lots of people without an inflammatory form of arthritis can have a fairly high RF while lots who definitely have it don't. It's just one indication.

If you've not yet seen a rheumatologist I'd guess that this is an initial blood test and your GP might be concerned enough to refer you to a rheumatologist who will do more tests and take other factors into consideration.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lisaj79
    Lisaj79 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks both of you. My doctors are so overrun it's unreal, 4 weeks for a face to face appointment and the earliest telephone appointment is next Tuesday. You can get an emergency appointment earlier but not to discuss results x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've been thinking about this. Maybe, if you rang the GP, they would be able to tell you whether or not you've been referred to a rheumatologist. If you have then at least the ball is in motion and it's just :roll: a matter of dealing with your pain while you wait to discuss things with the GP. Rheumatologists tend to prefer patients not to be on anti-inflammatories when they first see them as the anti-inflamms can mask the problem. So, if it's just a matter of pain relief, why not ask your local pharmacist to suggest something for while you're waiting?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • grid
    grid Member Posts: 40
    Hi

sounds like a similar story as me but not got as much pain as you. Mine stated in August and was stiffness in joints and pain. I went to GP and did a blood sample which showed my RF as 146, so done another test which i believe is CCP which showed low. so like all people i was getting fed up with the year waiting list for Rhuemy so i went private and he informed me that i had reative arthritis., to which i iam still having pain with.
    the Rheumy said that he prefers the CCP reult rather than RF as most people have RF.

hope you get yourself sorted out soon