CBD oil and curcumin

rainbows70
rainbows70 Member Posts: 18
edited 18. Apr 2018, 09:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

Does anyone take cbd oil for osteo pain and nerve pain. How about curcumin?

I take gabapentin for nerve pain but the result is very low mood but I get feel pain relief but do not like the dark thoughts on this med.

I take co co domol low dose for the osteo pain.

Please let me know if cbd oil and curcumin will help. t4591 t2507

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't take supplementary medicines but, for both of these (and any other herbal supplements or over-the-counter drugs), please check with your pharmacist that they won't interact with your gabapentin and / or any other prescribed meds you're taking. CBD Oil seems to interact with a whole host of categories of meds. The curcumin isn't much better. Why not ask your GP to prescribe something other than gabapentin?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    If there are any medically proven supplements I would be the first to use them, I don't take any supplements. Taking unproven supplents is a quick way to more problems and a poorer bank balance.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    If you wish to go down the alternative route then capsaicin cream has been trialled and proven as reasonably effective for OA pain; in addition to being bought OTC it can also be prescribed by a GP which gives it added credibility in my book. I have OA in a number of useful joints, I take four 30/500 cocodamol per day and occasionally resort to Voltarol, as I am on meds for my psoriatic arthritis I have to be careful about interactions and wouldn't risk using unregulated materials . I am fortunate in that nerve pain is not a problem but I know from reading on here that there are alternatives, have you asked about those? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I read today that curcumin (a constituent of turmeric) is very hard for the body to digest which I found interesting: the vast quantities that should be consumed for any potential benefit to be realised is astonishing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • rainbows70
    I don't take supplementary medicines but, for both of these (and any other herbal supplements or over-the-counter drugs), please check with your pharmacist that they won't interact with your gabapentin and / or any other prescribed meds you're taking. CBD Oil seems to interact with a whole host of categories of meds. The curcumin isn't much better. Why not ask your GP to prescribe something other than gabapentin?

Thankyou for responding! t115006
  • rainbows70
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I read today that curcumin (a constituent of turmeric) is very hard for the body to digest which I found interesting: the vast quantities that should be consumed for any potential benefit to be realised is astonishing. DD

Thankyou for responding! t115006
  • rainbows70
    Airwave! wrote:
    If there are any medically proven supplements I would be the first to use them, I don't take any supplements. Taking unproven supplents is a quick way to more problems and a poorer bank balance.

Thankyou for your response! t115006
  • rainbows70
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    If you wish to go down the alternative route then capsaicin cream has been trialled and proven as reasonably effective for OA pain; in addition to being bought OTC it can also be prescribed by a GP which gives it added credibility in my book. I have OA in a number of useful joints, I take four 30/500 cocodamol per day and occasionally resort to Voltarol, as I am on meds for my psoriatic arthritis I have to be careful about interactions and wouldn't risk using unregulated materials . I am fortunate in that nerve pain is not a problem but I know from reading on here that there are alternatives, have you asked about those? DD

Thankyou for your response! t115006
  • rubyblue
    rubyblue Member Posts: 3
    I'm vaping CBD oil at the moment pharmaceuticals are no longer any good for me for various reasons. Injections usually work but can only have them in one area at a time. I've been trying to have radio denerveration again for nearly 3years so was getting desperate with the pain!
    A few puffs and 10mins later the pain subsides a little but enough to manage. Doing that about 4 times a day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Rubyblue, please check with your pharmacist or GP that the CBD oil is not interacting with any of your prescribed meds or treatments including the injections. It is known to interact with 603 drugs.

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/cannabis.html

If 'pgharmaceuticals' are no longer good for you I'd seriously doubt that CBD oil is.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright