hi new to this

casandra
casandra Member Posts: 26
edited 23. Feb 2018, 05:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi I was on the intro section and just starting to post on here. Hope this is what I do?

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yep! Come over to Chit Chat for a cuppa and some bread pudding!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Hi there. As this is a repeat of your earlier post on here I was wondering if it was an accident - in which case the mods can deal with it - or if you wanted to ask more questions? If that's the case then use the question as a 'new topic' heading and post.
    It tends to be quiet at the weekend so you may not get a reply straight away.
  • casandra
    sorry I made a mistake. Wasn't sure where to post - help!
  • casandra
    hi all can someone help please. I have itchy large blisters on heels and sides of feet. Don't think they are chilblanes but they are driving me nuts. Is this anything to do with RA? I have nodules of varying size on my hands and they sometimes itch as well. Hoping for answers Carol
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    We cannot really help as we are only patients, not doctors. I would have a chat with your pharmacist, they may have an idea about what they are, the possible cause and any remedy. I hope you find an answer. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Hi Cassandra. May I suggest you give the Rheumy nurses a call to discuss it with them. Nodules can be part and parcel of RA. But I'm wondering if the blisters might be a form of Vasculitis. Sending hugs and hope you get answers soon.

t4591 t115006

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Certainly I don't associate blisters with RA. They're totally different from nodules. Maybe the GP?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • casandra
    hi all have started methotrexate 15mg today so hoping I don't get any horrible side effects. They aren't sure what rheymy I have so think they may be covering all bases at the mo. The only thing blood tests revealed was a high RA result. Still have swollen joints in hand and wrist and hands hurt. I also ache all over and am exausted all the time. Have hot sweats for no reason and often in the night and wake up drenched. Any ideas? Am totally confused now!
  • stickywicket
    I think probably most people start on methotrexate whatever 'branch' of inflammatory arthritis they have. The meds are broadly the same for most types. I hope meth works for you as well as it does for me but don't expect anything instant. It can take up to three months though most people come somewhere in between. Just keep up with the folic acid and blood tests.

The sweats - you don't have to tell me your age :wink: but might it be menopause rather than arthritis?

How did you get on with the blisters?
    Steven Wright
  • casandra
    @stickywicket Hi thanks for your reply. Another question - can I take co-codamol with the Mex ( sorrycan't spell it LOL) . At least I can function a bit better with them!
  • casandra
    As for age . No probs I am 69 in July had menopause many years ago! LOL. Still feel too young to be 69!!!!!!!!!!

Blisters better. Not sure what they were. Nurse and doc not sure either - what a mystery
  • stickywicket
    Re cocos - yes. I'm prescribed both meth and cocos. (Sorry, in a rush)
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I've been sweaty for years, firstly with the menopause and then with pain (and possibly medication side effects but I don't know nor care deeply enough to find out). Although my normal body temperature is a steady 36 degrees I am sure that the extra physical effort involved in moving makes me hot but I am years in with this nuisance and used to it - every handbag has a fan and a flannel for emergency mopping.

I have been on meth for years and have no bother with side effects apart from feeling extra tired every once in a while a day or so after the injection. I am sure that many cope with little trouble but, because that is the case, they don't need to find a forum. It can take anywhere between two to twelve weeks to begin to have an affect, the tiredness is a sign that your arthritis is active so not yet under control. Unlike some I have never found meth effective at reducing pain so it's best to ensure you have pain dullers to hand, they are an essential piece of ammunition when fighting the arthritis war. What was the outcome of the skin trouble? Did you find a cause? DD
  • casandra
    thanks to you both.
    Hi DD no never did but as it's getting better am not bothered!!
    Find I don't really get going till lunch time. Rest up a bit in the morning and just potter about. Sometimes think I should do a lot more but don't have the energy!! Was great on the seroids as I slept well, had loads of energy and felt really well. If only there was a magic pill like them LOL.
  • Maturecheese
    Maturecheese Member Posts: 130
    Hi Casandra Also a newbie. I started methotrexate last Monday on 15mg as well and so far no real side effects so hopefully you will be the same. Not much else I can tell you as like you it's all new to me but this site is a wealth of info thanks to the kind and informative people on here.
  • dreamdaisy
    Oral steroids are sneaky little boggers. They deliver what they promise whilst secretly removing more and more of what is essential, so secretly in fact we are not aware it's happening, all we know is we feel like James Brown - gooood - . . . . and can do the moves to match. :wink:

I have spent the majority of my lifetime of dealing with meds and stuff so when something unusual happens I ask myself 'Does it hurt?' and 'Is it making me feel ill?' If the answer to both is no I forget about it. The one time the meds caused me real trouble I was blithely unaware because nothing unusual happened, it was the bloods that revealed the problem. Cyclosporine was an interesting med because, rather than tackle the arthritis, it made me very hairy which didn't hurt or make me feel ill so no big deal - it had great comedy value though! DD

PS I have always taken my 30/500 cocos alongside the meth and the other stuff.