A big shout out Hello

Options
Twinny
Twinny Member Posts: 5
Currently into my third week off work, waiting for results of recent MRI to determine further degeneration to knee. Previous Arthoscopy failed. To boot, I have also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Hypermobility. I am caught between the severe pain of knees locking and rotating pain in rest of body.
As a previously energetic and active 54 year old combining full time work ( in a job I love) and a demanding family life, I feel catapulted into old age. I am really struggling with coming to terms with this change in fortune albeit I have been suffering chronic stress for a long time so should welcome the respite.
My main worry is money as I am the main wage earner with Teens just about to start university. Moreover I have been fortunate in having a job I love and work are really understanding but an imminent re-structure leaves me fearful. I have to reconcile myself to a change in job as the physical demands are not conducive to my health.
In short, I am having a crisis of identity. I have gone from a woman who juggled and micro managed all the competing demands in her life, a sociable and energetic person who thrived in the company of others to a person with fatigue, brain fog and limited mobility.
Is there light at the end of the tunnel? I'd love to hear from anyone who has had to make major lifestyle changes to accommodate their arthritis and tips for keeping cheerful.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Twinny

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find advice, support, light relief and friendliness. There are members here who have problems with their knees and ones with fibromyalgia.

Arthritis Care and Arthritis Research UK produce many booklets and factsheets. Here is the links to some which may be useful to you

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1208-fatigue-factsheet

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/229-fibromyalgia

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/225-working-with-arthritis

If you feel it would be beneficial to talk to someone who understands your problems Arthritis Care has a freephone helpline, 0808 800 4050.

I am one of the moderation team and we all have one or more of the arthritis "hangers on" or look after family members who have the same.

Look forward to seeing you on this forum again.
    Best wishes

ChrisK
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I began with one affected knee back in 1997 when I was 37, things have progressed since then to around forty affected joints but the essential me remains the same, arthritis won't change that because I won't let it.

I started with psoriatic arthritis, the joint damage that caused has led to osteo: some joints have one, some the other and others both. The only benefit I claim is DLA and I was able to carry on working for seventeen years despite things deteriorating at a steady rate: being self-employed was a bonus.

I spotted your post by chance, I hope others do too but this tends to be a quieter part of the forum, most look in on the Living With Arthritis board. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Twinny wrote:
    I have gone from a woman who juggled and micro managed all the competing demands in her life, a sociable and energetic person who thrived in the company of others to a person with fatigue, brain fog and limited mobility.
    Is there light at the end of the tunnel? I'd love to hear from anyone who has had to make major lifestyle changes to accommodate their arthritis and tips for keeping cheerful.

You are still that woman, Twinny. She's just having a breather :wink:
    Your juggling and micro-managing skills are going to be very useful in dealing with arthritis but what you can't do is try to pretend it doesn't exist or doesn't matter. You have to factor in rest time.

My lifestyle changes were easier than yours as I got RA at 15. University had its difficult moments but nowhere near as difficult as when the kids rocked up :lol: Develop strategies. Don't be proud. Buy gadgets and never refuse help. Delegate to those teenagers of yours. It's good for them whether they like it or not. (Probably not.)

I can't help on the money front as we never had much. I had to stop working after No 1 son was born and never managed to get back to paid work. I've done some very interesting voluntary work though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Twinny
    Twinny Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks again for your thoughtful replies. Great to touch base with others who understand the challenges of arthritis. I wish you well.
    Twinny