arthritis in the knees

johnny26113
johnny26113 Member Posts: 3
edited 29. Oct 2018, 08:34 in Say Hello Archive
hi does any one use Biofreeze to help the pain it help me a little some time . or what gels do you use

thanks johnny

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the forum. May of us have knee problems, indeed I've just had a replacement knee operation last month. I have and do use a Biofreeze spray, suggested by the physio team at my local hospital. I find it less intense than using ice for swelling and inflammation, I prefer warmth to cold!

It's worth trying out gels and sprays some suit better than others on an individual basis so recommendations aren't always helpful.
    Have you seen a doctor yet? There are prescription only medications that might help. You may be able to self refer to physio- they too have lots of help and advice on pain relief and exercises to keep your muscles strong to protect your joints.

Here's a leaflet on arthritis of the knee
    https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee.aspx

Do ask any questions you like and do let us know how you get on

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I find a bag of frozen peas much easier and cheaper. My knees have two kinds of arthritis within and resorting to the peas is a hint to me that I have overdone things. I recently began work with a personal trainer to improve my muscle strength and stamina, yes I am still in pain but it's a different kind, more muscular than deep within the joint: the pain from the arthritis has decreased a little because my joints are being better supported so that is a boon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • johnny26113
    johnny26113 Member Posts: 3
    thank you for your help
  • GillyJay
    GillyJay Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    I have a problem with OA in one knee so far. Not sure if this is any help but recently I've been using a cream called FlexiQ (around £18 per tube) but you only need a slither the length of your finger to cover the knee area. It's expensive but it does give me some relief in the bad knee and seems to numb the pain a bit. Maybe cheaper online? :)
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    I've seen this, you can buy it from the Arthritis Research website. I'm glad it's working for you. On Amazon it's £14.06 for 50g. 2 packs for £27.74. 4 packs for £50.15.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• margaret77
    margaret77 Member Posts: 1
    hi does any one use Biofreeze to help the pain it help me a little some time . or what gels do you use

thanks johnny

I have used all kind of cold gels, best gel for me has been Biofrost Pain Relief Gel. Applying layer to my hand really helps, it reliefs pain and lets me sleep better t4591
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hello Margaret,

Welcome to the forum. It would be good if you could tell us about yourself. Especially what type of arthritis or related condition you have.

You will find the members on the forum friendly, helpful, empathic, they will offer you advice and support.

I am one of the moderation team and we all have one or more of the Arthritis 'hanger ons' or look after family with the same.
    I look forward to seeing your future posts.

Best wishes
    ChrisK