post traumatic arthritis

Claudette
Claudette Member Posts: 60
edited 31. Jan 2019, 08:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone else suffer with post traumatic arthritis please? I was not aware that I was "suffering" from any other arthritis before I injured my foot. It has been a long road of trying to come to terms with this both physically, and not least, psychologically. The injury happened 2 years ago. I'm on my 3rd physiotherapist now and my first real psychologist.My foot seems to have gone through a series of changes since the injury but after it's initial recovery thing began to go downhill.This is midfoot arthritis of several joints.

More to the point, I was extremely active, walking, cycling, swimming, running a little. I'm aged 60. Between bouts of sheer anxiety, depression, grief, I make myself try something which might help. I'm finally using an nhs physio (Couldn't stand the wait before so paid privately). He seem to think there is hope for improvement but they have all said that. I certainly need to use it more. My walking is now very limited. I can cycle a bit and swim still. I think I have a fear of using the foot.

There doesn't seem to be a section on the forum for those specifically suffering from this kind of arthritis.]It might make me feel less alone if someone else was sharing my journey...maybe someone who has made progress psychologically at least.

Thanks

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's good that your physio things the foot can still improve somewhat. My take on physios is to listen carefully and try to do all they say. They've played an enormous part in keeping me active over many years of RA and OA.

I suspect you can't find much of 'post-traumatic arthritis' because it's not really any different to OA anywhere else. It simply means that OA has set in at the site of a former injury. That can happen to a lot of people.

We certainly have (had?) people on here whose OA started with an injury. 'Hileena' started after an accident to her foot but she is currently in hospital with something unrelated to arthritis. Others come and often go when they feel better. Those of us who are still here, though, are glad to help any way we can.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think there is some confusion here, Claudette, in that osteo arthritis often results after trauma to a joint, it isn't a separate kind. Many with OA can trace its origins back to an accident, either recent or years earlier; in my case I broke my left shoulder in January 2014, by January 2015 OA had moved in which was to be expected. The OA in my other joints has resulted from the damage caused by my psoriatic arthritis.

Feet and hands are complicated in that they have many tiny bones, many joints and complicated, delicate musculature. It is entirely natural to be fearful of using your foot, firstly it hurts and secondly there is the concern that more damage may caused but it is necessary to keep active to help the muscles better support. I have recently begun working with a personal trainer to help improve my muscle strength and stamina. Physio will not repair damage but it may slow the progress of the condition if the exercises are done on a regular basis, I still do my post op exercises dating from 2002. There is another member on here called Megrose who, if I recall correctly, also has mid-foot osteo arthritis. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Claudette
    You are not on your own, I was 58 when diagnosed and was a trained fitness instructor after going to the gym for over 25 years, suddenly my knee became painful , a long story short it was refereed pain form my hip..I have now had both replaced ..
    I did have AD in the early days I am now 67 ..and they really did help short term, I think I have now excepted it, I do have down days but they are few and far between thank goodness..
    It really will help you to talk about things, and we all, understand.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • ThePendulum
    ThePendulum Member Posts: 8
    Claudette I too have post traumatic arthritis. However it's in a completely different location (my right hand ring finger). I don't know what kind of pains you get inside your foot but the stiffness and pain I've been getting in my hand is unbearable after 3 surgeries.

You're not alone in feeling like this. I barely do anything anymore because of depression and grief and I'm only 32! I can't say I've been successful with dealing with it psychologically but you should know that you aren't alone in this. I noticed in another thread that you are contemplating amputation. Well I have to tell you that I too am thinking about amputating. In my mind, personally, I feel that it's better to have 4 healthy fingers and a good hand than 5 fingers that feel terrible to use.
  • Katy
    Katy Member Posts: 15
    Are u still active on this site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Claudette
    Dear Katy,

Yes, I am trying to post on the forum but having problems. I wrote a long message yesterday and tried to send but it asked for a person to send it to and so I wrote Forum but it wouldn't take that so I wrote Moderator. It seemed to accept that but nothing has arrived?? I had wanted to start a new thread and not carry on with my old thread of Post Traumatic Arthritis but think I must be confused about how to do this. I saved my message so may be able to resend if I knew how. Can you help?
  • Claudette
    Dear Katy,

Yes, I am trying to post on the forum but having problems. I wrote a long message yesterday and tried to send but it asked for a person to send it to and so I wrote Forum but it wouldn't take that so I wrote Moderator. It seemed to accept that but nothing has arrived?? I had wanted to start a new thread and not carry on with my old thread of Post Traumatic Arthritis but think I must be confused about how to do this. I saved my message so may be able to resend if I knew how. Can you help?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Claudette. For a new thread:

1. Log in.
    2. Click onto the forum you choose.
    3. Click on 'Post new topic' in small red print on the top left below where it says 'Living with Arthritis' (or whatever)
    4. Write the header where it says 'Subject header'
    5. Write your post underneath.
    6. Click on 'submit' below message box.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Claudette, if you've done it before, you can do it again especially with the help Sticky has given. Hopefully there will be some different news from you this time round. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Claudette
    Hello. I posted my long message to Sticky but I had really intended it for the forum and I wouldn't mind it being there...but there seemed no way of getting it there. Never mind. Struggling at the moment but I'll re-post something on a new link soon. Thank you.