Armaggeddon!!

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 3. Mar 2018, 10:10 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well, here in Kent it's snowing! There's a high alert from Kent County Council in place and mass panic everywhere. :lol: Train companies have told people to complete their journeys early, and bread/milk have sold out in some supermarkets!

As I sit in my warm lounge next to a slightly open window (yes, you did read that right - hot flushes are the culprit :roll: ) I can see probably 2-3mm of snow outside. The problem will come, of course, if it snows overnight as predicted. I will then have a problem, as where I live, it's the second highest point above sea-level in my home town so when it freezes/snows it does the job properly. The end of our road is a 1 in 10 slope which ends in a junction onto a main road so if that becomes "iffy" I'll not be going to work tomorrow.

So, for anyone affected by any kind of weather conditions, please keep safe, warm and well.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Best of luck Grace I hope you stay safe and warm (with windows open as necessary of course ;) ).

All is well so far here, but I hope it remains so as we are flying from Manchester early tomorrow :?

Fingers crossed for everyone :)

Toni xxx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I've got me skis waiting by the door😂😂😂..
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    As usual the weather people are in hysterical melt-down over next-to-nothing in terms of snow fall. Our reaction to the massive dumping of at least 5cms must make us a source of hilarity to certain nations.

I don't know if you recall but there were reports of skiers being snowed in in mid-January (was it in Verbiers?) Anyhoo, our friends were there and that was snow: they were staying in a three-storey chalet and the ground snow was up to the eaves. They said it was a dreadful experience because they had to stay in the bar drinking mulled wine. :wink:

Here in Ipswich it is cold but lovely and bright. The tips of our admittedly rather long grass are peeking through the white stuff - in the current febrile atmosphere I think that counts as being snowed in.

In all seriousness layer up everyone, keep up a steady intake of fluids and keep the heating on low 24/7. I am one for shutting the doors to keep the heat in a room whereas he is one for opening them to let the warmth 'travel'. The trouble is it doesn't! :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    As usual the weather people are in hysterical melt-down
    Well at least it makes sure everyone is aware there might be problems. The downside is that when events don't match the hysteria folks disregard the whole thing - and then risk getting caught out.
    I imagine the politicians are happy to have the weather taking centre stage and temporarily distracting from the continuing evidence of general incompetence and unfitness for office.
    A few flurries here and bitterly cold, but not much wind and plenty of sunshine so I went for a careful plod round the fields to ward off cabin fever.Fortunately I'm up to date with shopping so don't need to venture into town; my unreliable ankle joints and supposed high risk of spinal fracture makes me very wary of frozen hard surfaces such as pavements and carparks.
    Don't think my volunteer gardening will happen tomorrow....
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Not bad at all here..North west..I had to laugh at you having the window open Grace..hope the hot flushes have eased up.I remember them well.. :o . you stay safe..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    The Beast has finally showed up here in the East. Hope everyone is OK and can keep warm and injury-free until things improve.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I know it's here because I'm getting a steady stream of emails about events that have been cancelled.

And my dustbins look beautiful :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    Heard back from my sister who lives on the coast in the far NW of Scotland. At the moment the weather is an improvement for her as it's all getting dumped before reaching them, and as a bonus the Atlantic storms they've suffered with have been kept at bay as well. Travel away from the village isn't an option for now though except in dire emergency and fully equipped.
  • dreamdaisy
    The forecasters are being proved right, things are worsening as promised but I doubt anyone will give them credit. It's snowed a great deal here, it is at least three inches deep in some places and I am thoroughly enjoying looking at it from indoors as it's minus 4. Mr DD reported bare shelves in a smaller branch of Sainsbriz: why? What gets into people with the panic buying? :? DD
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Well, I tried to get to work today but failed as the access road into my office looked like it could have hosted Ski Sunday. :roll: So I carefully turned round and came home.

Motorways here are fine but everything off main roads are dreadful. When I came back this morning, I put my car into the semi-manual 1st gear (it's an automatic) and even with that, my traction control light came on and there was some slipping as I crawled up the hill at walking pace. Needless to say, since then my car hasn't moved off my drive!

However, as I have a hospital appointment tomorrow at 9.20am - yet another post-op TKR appointment! - I'll have no choice but to get in the car as it's too dangerous for me to walk across to the hospital.

Looks like the South East Kent area should escape the snow tonight as it's going North.

I hope everyone is keeping warm and safe.

Take care!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    I wish you a safe journey tomorrow: my dad taught me about driving in snow and ice, his advice boils down to speed is far from helpful and if you can't hear the tyres you could be on black ice.

I have to go to the dentist tomorrow - I have an appalling toothache - so I have to brave the great outdoors. I want to drive because I need the practice (I haven't driven in this kind of weather for years) plus I am a better driver than him. DD
  • daffy2
    Sandblastingly cold wind today, very frustrating as I want to get out(cabin fever, not lack of supplies), but a trip down the garden to get some logs was not only cold, but the ice under the snow was tricky and I was glad of my stick for balance. Wouldn't consider walking on pavements in these conditions, but even walking round the fields isn't an option it would seem.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    According to the bush telegraph supplies have now got through to the village store. With luck, we won't run out of milk after all :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    We are expecting some more snow ,in all honesty we have not had much but its so bitterly cold ,I went shopping with my daughter this morning we just went to the local Tesco and Aldi to get essentials.Now we are snuggled up indoors with no intention of going out again till at least monday.
  • daffy2
    The weather summary has suddenly gone very bland. No yellow flashes and exclamation marks, and a mass shedding of minus signs.