Pain advice please

Marjrie
Marjrie Member Posts: 7
edited 10. Mar 2018, 06:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've joined on behalf of my husband who is not good with computers?
He's 84 years old and had osteoarthritis for many years, he's had 3 hip replacements and one knee and waiting for a second knee.
He has been taking Naproxen 250, for years. About 3 months ago his Naproxen was increased to 500 as he is having so much pain.
Last week he had a huge PR bleed, and rushed to hospital by ambulance. He also has Diverticular disease, the surgeon said to stop the Naproxen!!
He is now in so much pain all over that he can hardly get out of bed.
He has an appointment with our GP coming up, but we wondered if anyone here has any wise advice about any other effective pain relievers without the risks of further bleeds.
Sorry if this is a bit long winded.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Marjere
    Welcome to the forum, sorry that your husband is so unwell,I hope he improves soon. The forum is full of lovely understanding and encouraging people,the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat so just message there and you will get lots of answers and support
    All the best Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh marjrie I do feel for you both. As a long-standing RA patient I'm never sure whether it's worse to undergo pain or to watch someone you love undergoing it. I think I prefer to feel it myself.

I hope your GP will have some views on what pain relief is suitable for your husband but, rest assured, there are other kinds about. Naproxen, and other anti-inflammatories, are notoriously difficult for the stomach so I hope your husband was prescribed a stomach-protecting medication such as omeprazole or lansoprazole to take with it. However, after a bleed, I doubt he'll be put back on it.

I know that some on here use pain patches of one kind or another. These are strong and obviously bypass the stomach so shouldn't cause problems there but my knowledge of such things is scant. I'm sure others, who know more about them, will be here soon.

Your post was not at all long-winded. It was very clear. Thank you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Marjrie, I am so sorry to read about your poor husband and my thoughts go out to you too, it is hard to witness the distress of a loved one.

There are alternatives to naproxen but I agree with Sticky, after such an episode he is unlikely to be given them. There are many pain relief choices such as tablets, topical creams, liquids and patches but his GP is the best-placed to advise: we may know our stuff but we are mere patients. I have two kinds of arthritis, no new joints and use the minimum of relief, in my case four 30/500 cocodamol tablets per day. My joints are reacting to the cold so I am tucked up in bed for sheer comfort, it's the only thing that helps me to feel better: the snow is the perfect excuse! I wish you both well, please let us know what is given because his experience will inform others. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Marjrie
    Thanks so much for the really lovely welcome, and kind replies. My poor husband has so many difficulties, arthritis exhausts him, he takes blood thinning tablets, since having a TIA, so that made the bleed worse.
    He takes Ranitidine with the Naproxen to try to protect his tummy, as Omeprazole apparently reduces the effect of the Clopidogrel blood thinner.
    I'd never heard of pain relief patches, we will ask the GP. The Naproxen was doing a good job, he has more pain now than he realised as I suppose the tablets were working.
    Thanks again.
  • stickywicket
    This leaflet, by Arthritis Research UK, is all about pain and quite ibnteresting even for those of us who are all too used to pain. file:///C:/Users/patbl/Downloads/2030-Pain-and-arthritis.pdf
    Pg13 (Painkilling analgesic drugs) is the section which, briefly, mentions patches. I hope something like this would be useful for your husband.

P.S. I've just realised that the text for the booklet hasn't turned blue. Perhaps our brilliant Moderators :D could do something magical with it. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll just have to copy and paste.
    Steven Wright
  • Marjrie
    This leaflet, by Arthritis Research UK, is all about pain and quite ibnteresting even for those of us who are all too used to pain. file:///C:/Users/patbl/Downloads/2030-Pain-and-arthritis.pdf
    Pg13 (Painkilling analgesic drugs) is the section which, briefly, mentions patches. I hope something like this would be useful for your husband.

P.S. I've just realised that the text for the booklet hasn't turned blue. Perhaps our brilliant Moderators :D could do something magical with it. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll just have to copy and paste.
    I can't make the link work, even if I copy and paste, can anyone more computer savvy help me please? Thank you
  • dreamdaisy
    I wish I could but I am not computery. :oops: Your husband does have a lot on his plate, doesn't he? it complicates matters when multiple conditions are being treated and sometimes people get stuck in a medical rut (their GPs too) when it comes to medication. How often has he had a meds review?

The pain patches are morphine-based, opoids can be tricky for some bodies to process but also effective. At the other end of the scale capsaicin cream has been proven to be of short-term benefit and can be used on a regular basis. I was once bed-bound for three months with a massive flare of my psoriatic arthritis, it wasn't fun, I ended up taking oral steroids to get me up and about (which they did) but they are not an ideal solution. I very rarely send hugs to people but may I offer some to you and your lovely man? ((( ))) DD
  • stickywicket
    It was a pdf file which might explain the 'non-link'.

Here's another page from ARUK though. This should work. https://tinyurl.com/y77qnj5x
    Steven Wright
  • Marjrie
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello Marjrie, I am so sorry to read about your poor husband and my thoughts go out to you too, it is hard to witness the distress of a loved one.

There are alternatives to naproxen but I agree with Sticky, after such an episode he is unlikely to be given them. There are many pain relief choices such as tablets, topical creams, liquids and patches but his GP is the best-placed to advise: we may know our stuff but we are mere patients. I have two kinds of arthritis, no new joints and use the minimum of relief, in my case four 30/500 cocodamol tablets per day. My joints are reacting to the cold so I am tucked up in bed for sheer comfort, it's the only thing that helps me to feel better: the snow is the perfect excuse! I wish you both well, please let us know what is given because his experience will inform others. DD

Can I ask if you have any side effects from the cocodamol please?
    Hope you are managing to stay warm and comfortable
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Sticky

The link you posted is to a pdf file you have on your computer, hence the file:///C:/Users/ bit in the file name link :D

Found the same file on Arthritis Research that you were looking for:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/~/media/Files/Arthritis-information/Living-with-arthritis/2030-Pain-and-arthritis.ashx

Hope this helps :)
    Brynmor
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Marjrie, the only trouble I have with the cocodamol is constipation which is a very common side-effect. Some cannot tolerate it at all, it can make them feel rather spaced out but that has not been a problem for me. It comes in varying strengths, I began with 8/300 (8 grammes of codeine, 500 of paracetamol) then rose to 12, 15 and finally 30. It does not fully relieve the pain, it merely dulls the sharper edges. DD
  • stickywicket
    Yes, I think the main problem with codeine, in any form, is constipation so many people take laxatives regularly with it.

Mod Brynmor - you're a star! Thanks :D
    Steven Wright
  • Marjrie
    Thanks very much for the link, I think a moderator did it.
    So my husband went to the GP yesterday, and like you all said, no more Naproxen or anti inflammatory at all.
    He lost so much blood in hospital that he is for now taking Ferrous Fumerate iron supplements, which constipate him terribly.
    So for now the Dr has said to try to manage with regular Paracetamol until his blood is better!
    So back on Monday for blood tests.
    He now seems to have pain in his Achilles which he hasn't had before, only the joints, but I'm guessing the Naproxen hid a lot of this.
    Thanks once more fir the advice and warm welcome
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh dear, poor man. I use Lactulose (bought OTC from the chemist) to unblock my drains but the GP can also prescribe either capsules (Docusate which is very easy to take and good) or a powder to be mixed with water: the names escape me, I am sorry. DD
  • Marjrie
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Oh dear, poor man. I use Lactulose (bought OTC from the chemist) to unblock my drains but the GP can also prescribe either capsules (Docusate which is very easy to take and good) or a powder to be mixed with water: the names escape me, I am sorry. DD

I'm sure you all have stuff to deal with, yet still make time for advice on here.
    He has lactulose and a powder called Laxido I think.
    He's finding it tough as the Naproxen had been working well, and he tries to keep active, but this bleed has really knocked him sideways.
    3 weeks ago he was preparing his allotment for the Springtime.
    Now he falls asleep all the time, I'm guessing this is the anemia.
    Onward and upward
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm not surprised that he has been knocked sideways, to lose that much blood will take some time to get over (and, sadly, the older one is the longer it can take). It's good that he has measures in place for the 'blocked drain', I think the secret to success is a little and often rather than a little every now and again :wink: Rest is one of the best ways to regain what little energies we have, if one is used to being active then it might appear to be an extra burden / hurdle / obstacle but it's also the most beneficial to the body as a whole.

It's true to say we all have ongoing stuff, we get it because we've got it. We may not be qualified to give proper medical advice but many of us on here know our arthritic onions (and all the other onions that trail in their wake). It must be doubly disappointing for him as the nap was so effective, poor chap. I send my best wishes to you both. DD
  • stickywicket
    Marjrie wrote:
    He's finding it tough as the Naproxen had been working well, and he tries to keep active, but this bleed has really knocked him sideways.
    3 weeks ago he was preparing his allotment for the Springtime.
    Now he falls asleep all the time, I'm guessing this is the anemia.
    Onward and upward

I think you're right, Marjrie. I hope he can get back to his allotment soon as that will buck his spirits though he'll probably find it harder work and need to rest more. In my experience men are not great at that :roll:

I'm thinking of you both and hoping the trend is upwards, however slowly.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Marjrie, how are things going? DD