Hi (from me and my sore foot!)

Options
catlover77
catlover77 Member Posts: 4
edited 10. Mar 2018, 06:15 in Say Hello Archive
Hi there

I've got osteoarthritis on the top of my left foot. I had a cortisone injection in January which hasn't worked very well. It's taken away some of the pain but not totally, so I'm still unable to do all the activities I'd like to. :(

I've got a follow-up hospital appointment next week and I suspect the consultant might suggest surgery. He explained how it works on my initial appointment so I know what to expect about the fusing of the 2 joints and the big toe being pulled up slightly.

I'm unsure what I think about going through an op and would love to find out what the success rate (i.e. pain relief and mobility afterwards) from anyone else who has had this op.

I know one other person who has had this op and he seems fine (and goes to my yoga class). I would just really like more reassurance about outcomes before I start to make a decision.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. :)

Chrissie

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi catlover
    Welcome to the forum,sorry you are in pain at the moment, I have never had this op myself although I have osteoarthritis. The forum is full of lovely understanding and encouraging people who will chat and welcome you too. The most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    All the best Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I cannot immediately recall someone else in your position but another newbie, Claudette, has mid-foot arthritis affecting one foot: she too is struggling, I hope she sees your post and replies. Although I am nearly twenty one years in I can empathise with the discomfort, I have OA in some useful joints and another kind of arthritis in others: some even have both.

I have never had much success from steroid injections, they can be temperamental on that front. Sadly whatever relief they give is temporary and they do nothing to sort out the underlying trouble. I hope the example of your friend will be encouraging as to what can be achieved by surgery. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • catlover77
    Options
    moderator wrote:
    Hi catlover
    Welcome to the forum,sorry you are in pain at the moment, I have never had this op myself although I have osteoarthritis. The forum is full of lovely understanding and encouraging people who will chat and welcome you too. The most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    All the best Christine

Thanks Christine.
    It's good to connect with other people who suffer in similar ways. I hope your condition is not too severe.
    I'll check out the other forums on here too.
    Chrissie
  • catlover77
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I cannot immediately recall someone else in your position but another newbie, Claudette, has mid-foot arthritis affecting one foot: she too is struggling, I hope she sees your post and replies. Although I am nearly twenty one years in I can empathise with the discomfort, I have OA in some useful joints and another kind of arthritis in others: some even have both.

I have never had much success from steroid injections, they can be temperamental on that front. Sadly whatever relief they give is temporary and they do nothing to sort out the underlying trouble. I hope the example of your friend will be encouraging as to what can be achieved by surgery. I wish you well. DD

Thanks DreamDaisy.
    I was hopeful about the steroid injection but it's just unfortunate it didn't work.
    21 years is a long time to be suffering! It's only been 2 years for me with the debilitating pain.
    I also spoke to another lady this morning at another class I go to and she had had similar surgery about 10 years ago. Unfortunately her story wasn't as positive as my other friend and her 'lump' has grown back. It was on a different part of the foot to mine though - the base of the big toe. Mine is right on the top of my foot about the centre, where the 2 biggish joints in the middle meet.
    Oh well, I'll see what the consultant says next week.
    Cheers
    Chrissie
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hi Chrissie and welcome from me too :)

The foot is a complicated bit of us. I think, in all, there are 27 joints in it so plenty of room for stuff to go wrong :roll:

Steroid injections do work better for some than others and, even when they do work, last for a limited time with no guarantee of success second time around. Mind you, I've never regarded 'arthritis' and 'painfree' as being compatible.

I've found some former thread on toe fusions for you here: https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/search.php?keywords=toe+fusion&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I think, in your shoes (pardon the pun) I'd be listing all my questions to take with me to the consultant. Do you have someone who will go with you? A second pair of ears is very useful as I find answers can go straight in one ear and out the other. Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Everybody's stories are different and successful operations are dependent on more than the surgeon's skill.

I began aged thirty seven but its arrival wasn't a surprise as such because I was born with auto-immune issues; never having known good health has enabled me to accept things being what they are more easily because my coping strategies were already part-developed. Kathy Lette once wrote that 'love prepares you for marriage like lace-making does for round-the-world-yachting': replace the first bit with 'good health prepares you for arthritis like' . . . . . and that's it in a nutshell.

I remember the good old days when I had one affected joint and, naturally, complained about pain: no wonder, it was concentrated in one area and that made it far harder to deal with. Now it's widespread it's so much easier. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben