Help needed

philjory
philjory Member Posts: 3
edited 12. Mar 2018, 05:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
I hope some one can help me with this, I have been suffering with pain in my left knee for some months now and my Doctor referred me to my local Hospital where i have up to now had 2 MRI scans and a x ray. I have seen 3 Surgeons. The first one said that i have a meniscus tear and should have key hole surgery to correct it. The second one said that i have damaged my knee and a splinter of bone is floating about and is the cause of the pain and that I need TKR surgery. The third surgeon think that the problem is arthritis but in my case TKR may not solve the problem.

All three surgeons have seen the same scans and x ray but as you can see have different opinions and i don't know which one to go with.

The pain that i get is a sharp one when i am walking or going up or down stairs when i am sitting or lying down there is no pain at all.

Do my symptoms seem like those that any of you have suffered.

Thank you for any advice

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Philjory,

Welcome to the forum, it doesn't sound good having very different diagnoses from consultants about your knee.

I have recently had a new knee, and I was so grateful to see one consultant! I'm afraid I can't help your quandary from personal experience, mine wasn't a typical presentation as my pain was in the wrong place, but it wasn't like your description either.

However many forum members have various knee problems so hopefully you will get some advice soon.

Here is some information from the NHS re meniscus tears
    http://www.ouh.nhs.uk/hipandknee/information/knee/meniscal-tears.aspx

From what I've read bone splinters is very similar to a meniscal tear when either some cartilage or bone has become loose, so those two aren't as different as they first sound. If you make an appointment with your GP they should have copies of each of the consultants reports and so could explain them clearly and help you find a way forward.

Do let us know how you get on

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I don't think I can help. As mere patients we are at the mercy of professional opinions but your three are so varied despite all seeing the same sets of test results. I have well-established osteo-arthritis in both knees (I am bone-one-bone throughout both) and a few years ago was refused new knees due to extreme youth (I was fifty two). I find it very strange that a TKR would be offered in the case of either a tear or a bit of bone floating about but I am not an ortho surgeon. Was an opinion offered as to why it might not work? I am in pain 24/7/52 so cannot comprehend it only hurting when certain activities are done - luxury to me but definitely not for you. :(

People usually have to wait for years for a TKR, certain levels of damage have to be reached before it is offered and even then can still be refused. I am utterly clueless why this has been offered as an option so early - sporty friends of mine who have had knee damage have had arthroscopies and other keyhole surgery to sort things out with great success and remain arthritis-free which is most irksome. :wink: I wish you well with whatever course of action you take. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • philjory
    philjory Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your replies but i would like to know if it is normal to have arthritis in the knee and not suffer any discomfort when just sitting or lying down ?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    In your situation I doubt that you have osteo arthritis so, if you are not weight-bearing on the joint, it won't hurt. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    philjory wrote:
    Thank you for your replies but i would like to know if it is normal to have arthritis in the knee and not suffer any discomfort when just sitting or lying down ?
    No such thing as 'normal'! Certain things may be common, but that's not the same. I have OA in multiple joints, the pattern of pain is unrelated to the level of damage; knees have recently started to make themselves felt and yes I get sharp shooting pains sometimes, especially when going downstairs, but so far never at rest(long may that continue to be the case!)
    I think DD has a point in that at the moment it is not certain that arthritis is the problem, and the two damage diagnoses put forward would fit with problems moving but not at rest?