Hello to all from a newbie

lanaa98
lanaa98 Member Posts: 3
edited 14. Mar 2018, 06:57 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone,

I'm Alana and I've been diagnosed with PsA at the age of 19 last August so am well into adjusting to the new normal and accept that my life may now be that bit trickier.

I've had a read around on this forum when I was first diagnosed but was too shy to say anything, so I decided to join so I could ask some questions.

First of all I understand that everyone is different, but does anyone have any tips/tricks/help about how to feel less tired?? I know it is not normal tired (although I am a student so I should be used to it!) and I plan on mentioning it next time I am at the rheumatology, or is there something I could get from my GP if I asked??

Secondly, if any other PsA people know of effective (and preferably cheap!) cream/treatment I could get from a pharmacy or even GP?? I currently use E45 but its usefulness has come to an end and I don't feel like I need to see a dermatologist because it is too much hassle and the psoriasis is only on my forehead/eyebrows (when it flares up I call it 'the monobrow of anger' :lol: ) but it is hidden under my fringe almost always so the look doesn't bother me one bit but the itching is driving me up the wall.

Thanks all xxx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Alana and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

We have a great community here, who have lots of experience of arthritis who I know will make you very welcome and help in any way they can.

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis of Psoriatic arthritis. Fatigue is such a big issue for a lot of the members on her so you have my sympathy.

You could take a look at Arthritis Research UK’s information about fatigue it might help:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/daily-life/fatigue.aspx

I think you will find answers to some of your questions.

I am attaching this link to an ‘old thread’ about the issue of the rash/itching which might help. There are others if you wanted to do a search:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42192&hilit=psoriasis+cream

I do hope you manage to get things under control soon and look forward to seeing you posting.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us.

Right, the tiredness. This is a common problem for all arthritics but it is more complex for those with an auto-immune form. I have had PsA for years and so have some experience of the meds and their effectiveness: you don't mention what you are taking but my suspicion is it isn't enough to bring your disease activity under control. This is something to talk over with your rheumatologist, in my experience GPs know a little about a lot but we need the rheumatologist who knows a lot about a little, especially as these are still comparatively early days for you.

I was born with eczema and it became severe in my childhood, this was in the days before steroids creams existed so life wasn't fun. E45 aggravated my skin, I found aqueous cream much better because it can be used both as soap and moisturiser (and a big tub can be bought for as little a £1 in B&M). My developing PsA came as a surprise in one way - I have very little of the skin trouble but when it does appear I know the meds aren't working properly or, as the case at the moment, I've been off them for some while due to flu and a tooth extraction: this has also increased my tiredness levels. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lanaa98
    lanaa98 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you both for your replies. I'm currently taking methotrexate and yes could that it my current dosage not enough, I've had it put up once and may need it putting up again, I will have to see what they say when I am next at rheumatology in a month or so. As for the psoriasis I'll have a look around and see if I can find something else to try, although it looks like it is starting to calm down again slightly which makes me think the cold weather we've just had up north may have been a contributing factor as to why its been so bad recently.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I completely forgot to say that for the psoriasis I use Dovobet ointment, prescribed by my GP, and it's reasonably effective if used more than once or twice. I am not aware of anything one can buy OTC which will tackle it, you need the prescribed stuff. I take 15mg per week of injected meth which is bolstered by 40mgs fortnightly of another med but I am much further down the road than you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben