Advise

Serenaatkinson
Serenaatkinson Member Posts: 3
edited 19. Mar 2018, 19:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, I am about to have total right hip replacement due to osteoarthritis. I have been suffering with awful pain in my left knee an no one is listening to me!!
I believe it is referred pain and that I have torn a ligament but I am not been offered an MRI. My worry is that when I have my right hip replacement my left leg will not support me. I am in agony, it is not arthritic pain . I feel so down, I’m limited to type of pain relief I can take and not allowed anti inflammatory medication. Help please

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Serenaatkinson and welcome to the Arthritis UK forums.

I'm so sorry to hear you are suffering from severe pain in your left knee: no doubt you are correct in thinking it is referred pain as you are about to have a right hip replacement.

Do speak to both your doctor and your arthritis consultant about this. The consultant in particular will be concerned that you may damage your knee requiring later treatment.

If you need to, you can contact the Arthritis Care Helplines on 0808 800 4050 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am-5pm)

Full details here: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/our-services-and-support/helpline

Do keep us informed about how you get on.

All best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I wish I could help but, as Brynmor says, you need proper medical advice on this. It could be referred pain. I'd have thought if it were a torn ligament, you'd be unable to weight-bear at all on it.

Just to reassure yoi a little, I have severe RA in virtually all joints but my hip and knee replacements have all been great.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright