Hip OA getting worse

kazzab456
kazzab456 Member Posts: 23
edited 21. Mar 2018, 03:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've had OA in my right hip for approx 8 years and I last saw my consultant in September and I'm not due to see him again until September this year. When I saw him last he said that I will need a hip replacement eventually but not yet as at 45 I am too young which I do understand and I was referred to physio which has been helpful.

My problem is these last few weeks I feel as though things have gotten worse - my hip locks at night and sometimes during the day and it's agony to walk especially after driving. The problem is that this comes and goes and after a bad patch which is happening more frequently I think to myself I need to do something about this only for it to be ok for the rest of the day until the evening so I end up doing nothing about it.

My question is I know that there are procedures that can be done prior to a hip replacement ie steroid injection etc but I don't know who I should contact re this do I call my GP or my Consultants secretary to see what can be done. It's beginning to have a greater impact on my life now and I don't want to be left like this until I'm eventually old enough for a replacement.

Thanks Karen

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's years since I had injections into joints but I don't think a GP could do one. Try the secretary but they might need a GPs referral.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Poor you Karen :(

In your shoes I would try both avenues. Some Drs can do some steroid injections some can't. Just get the ball rolling you sound as though you need some more help now to get you through to September.

Replacements can be done at any age (my daughter had a shoulder replacement at 19 because hers was too far gone) really they just prefer us to wait as long as possible because revisions aren't always as successful as original replacements.

They also often ask us to loose weight if we are overweight.

Let us know how you get on.

Toni xx