My consultant at refuses to take me

Sophiemary
Sophiemary Member Posts: 2
off methotrexate despite the drug having no affect on my symptoms and allowing my symptoms to get worse every single day. It took the trust 3 years to diagnose me and I'm still on the same pointless drug for 13 months.
Does anyone else find this barbaric process of treatment by NHS as Victorian?
I'm almost suicidal...

Hi Sophiemary,
I'm sorry you are having such a tough time with your NHS Trust - I've taken their name out of your post.
Yvonne

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sophiemary,

It sounds as if you’ve been going through a painful and frustrating time with your arthritis for a long time now. After three years of waiting for a diagnosis, it is hard that you are still waiting for a drug that feels like it’s helping. If it should ever help to talk over your situation in more detail, and maybe discuss how you are feeling and ways to cope, I hope you will call the Arthritis Care Helpline.

Although inflammatory types of arthritis (including rheumatoid arthritis) can sometimes take a long time to diagnose and treat effectively, there are guidelines that your GP and Rheumatologist should be following. Arthritis Research UK has produced this step-by-step guide to the process, from initial symptoms through to on-going treatment: https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/inflammatory-arthritis-pathway.aspx. I hope that reading this will give you a sense of whether your experiences so far have followed this pathway. If not, then it may be worth raising concerns about your experiences with doctors, perhaps at an appointment where you can be accompanied by someone else (e.g. a friend or family member).

You say in your message that you are feeling almost suicidal. Living with such high levels of distress – especially if it is how you feel often – may be a health problem in itself that needs treating. This can be true even if your distress has been caused, or triggered, by another health condition, such as arthritis. It may be helpful for your GP to know how you are feeling, so that he/she can offer you any treatment that might help. If you are ever feeling distressed and want to talk, you can also contact Samaritans 24 hours a day on 116 123 or at jo@samaritans.org.

Your message also suggests that you could benefit from some support from other people who have gone through similar experiences. I’m sure many online community members would be willing and able to offer support. It is likely that more members would see a message posted in the ‘Living with arthritis’ section so, with your permission, the moderators would be able to move this message to that section. Alternatively, you could write a new message for the ‘Living with arthritis’ section.

I hope this response has been helpful. Do get in touch again if it could ever help to talk things over (or write things down) in the future.

Best wishes,

Rachael, Helpline Team