My trapeziectomy.

Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 17. Mar 2022, 10:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Two days on and I'm feeling more back to normal. I decided to have a brachial plexus block, but, unfortunately it didn't work very well for me While one half of my arm was completely numb, the other half, the thumb side, was not. So I had another injection, this time into my neck, but even that didn't make much difference. The anaesthetist asked me to give the op a go and he would provide me with strong painkiller if I needed it. I finished up having the op in some pain - I needed fentanyl, which left me pretty dopy. Well, dopier than usual!

The anaesthetist said that everyone was different when it came to the block and I do wonder if i've got unusual nerve pathways This has been mentioned to me before at the dentist. So, I'm sure that the majority of people would be fine with the block. So please don't let my experience put you off, Johnn, or anyone else. It was very odd not to be able to feel my arm, but all feeling was back by the following morning and I'm just taking paracetamol. Rather itchy/sore this am.

I've got a half-cast on my hand and am due to see the consultant again a week on Tuesday, so I'll let you know what happens then.

Mr MR is busy helping me to dress, cooking my meals, bringing me tea and washing up! I could almost enjoy this :)

Meg
Tagged:

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm glad it's over for you Meg - sorry you were in pain while the operation was taking place.

I hope you have a smooth and swift recovery - and make the most of Mr. MR 's attentiveness.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Meg
    I'm glad that is over........probably not as glad as you are :lol:
    Such a pity to have to be in pain in this day and age. Like you say.......everyone is different
    Take care of yourself and anyone else that is taking care of you, make the most of it :wink:

Lo ve
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Meg so glad it is over with for you, I am down to have this on my left hand..so will be watching your thread..but please dont worry about telling us the bad days...wishing you a speedy recovery..enjoy the me time while you can... :) x
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    whats that saying " make hay while the sun shines" he will soon be back to normal.Glad things went well. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    That must have been quite worrying, Meg. Not to mention painful.

I'm so pleased you're now on the road to recovery but, as mig wisely advises, don't let on too soon :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Update. Although I've mentioned these things in other threads, I thought it would be better to put everything into the one thread, so I apologise for duplicating things.

The weekend after the op I had to go to A&E because the plaster cast became unbearably tight. They took it off, with some difficulty, and put on a new one, which was much better. The following day I began to feel unwell and my right knee became very swollen and painful, so much so that I couldn't walk on it. I'd had a similar problem with my left knee in July. When I eventually saw a locum GP, five days later, he suggested either gout or pseudogout and this has still to be resolved. I had a blood test, which came back as normal, but I understand that blood tests aren't accurate unless taken two or three weeks after the attack. I also have kidney stones (10mm and 6mm) and have taken a daily diuretic for 16 years - both of which may be connected. I'm going to see my usual GP next month when he comes back from holiday.

I saw the consultant last week and the plaster cast and stitches were removed. He was very pleased with the movement I had in my hand already. While in the plaster cast my fingers and the top of my thumb were exposed and I kept them moving. My surgeon - who is semi-retired and covered for my consultant while he was on holiday - had asked in my notes that I went into a second plaster cast. As I understand it, this is the old way of dealing with things - six weeks in plaster - and my young consultant doesn't use a plaster cast at all, not even after the op.
    So, after a chat, we decided that I would go into a thermoplastic splint, which is where I am now.

I have hand exercises to do every hour, am about to begin massages three times a day and will see the occupational therapist again in two weeks. I'm due to see the consultant again in six weeks. I'm very pleased with the way things have gone so far. I've put my wedding ring back on and am typing this using both hands! Onwards and upwards :D Apart from the gout, which I sincerely hope stays quiet!

Meg
  • stickywicket
    That is indeed sounding good, Meg, apart, as you say, from the gout. You're doing well.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Just a slight hiccup. When massaging the scar I found that a stitch had been left in. I wondered if I could take it out myself :shock: but, although small, it's embedded, so I think I'll pop to the surgery tomorrow.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    I think Plan B was the better one, Meg :) They are trained: we are not and you certainly don't need an infection or anything else at this stage. I'm sure they'll sort it in a jiffy but good luck nevertheless.
    Steven Wright
  • Scampdog
    Scampdog Member Posts: 43
    OH Meg now we have had the same problem, my stitch was so deep they had to really dig for it arm has not felt right since, hope you get on better !, my fingers are swelling too !, cant wait for Friday when I go the hospital this hard splint is killing me now Xx
  • Megrose2
    Thank you all. Saw the practice nurse this morning and she got all the equipment out to take out the stitch, lifted it with tweezers and it popped right out! :D

Felt a bit stupid, but she said it was better to have it done by her, rather than trying to do it myself, as it could have had a knot on the end and this may have have damaged the scar.

The swelling around the wound site is slowly going down and I'm following the exercise and massage regime religiously. So, time for more exercises and massaging with Bio-Oil, which smells lovely! :)

Meg
  • Megrose2
    Update. I saw the Occupational Therapist this afternoon. She was very pleased with my progress, so much so, that I no longer have to wear a splint. The scar has healed nicely and is very loose, which is the result of all the massaging I have done. I'm to continue with the hand exercises, plus another two to strengthen different muscles around my thumb.

So, all good. I see her again in two weeks and, if everything progresses well, I'll be discharged from her care. Then I see the consultant again two weeks later.

The best news is that she said I could do some light activities like embroidery! So, I'm going to have a happy time working out what Christmas cards I'm going to stitch and buying new threads, if necessary! :-)

And Mr MR is still cooking and washing up, bless him, but I'm hoping to take over to some extent in a few days.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    That's all brilliant, Meg, but much of it is due to you (and Mr M, of course). I'm very pleased for you and thanks for letting us know. Happy embroidering :D
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Thank you Sticky. I meant to add that, as my other thumb is rather painful, because it's taking the extra load I suppose, she also gave me a lovely neoprene splint for that one that I could use as and when I wanted.

I'm planning on making an appointment to see the GP about having an injection in my other hand. The one the consultant gave me back in May was useless - the liquid all ran out again - so I wasn't surprised when it didn't make any difference. The ones I've had from the GP have always worked quite well.

Meg
  • Scampdog
    OH my goodness Meg well done to you ! wish it were me !!!!!!!!...now I really feel down in the dumps, still cant move my thumb although the swelling has gone down a bit, even moving the fingers causes pain now located in the wrist, I still have to wear the splints which I now hate with a passion, am massaging all the time what is you secret ?....you have made one remarkable recovery !!!!! Xxxx
  • Megrose2
    So sorry. I didn't mean to make you depressed! No secret as such, but I think that, when A&E re-did the plaster cast, it was much more comfortable and my fingers and the top of my thumb were fully exposed. This meant that I was free to use them very early on and so I did. Only in a limited way - bending my thumb and my fingers - but I think this has maybe helped. Even though I no longer have a splint, I am being very careful in using my left hand. Although the scar has healed well, it's obviously still painful, particularly at the back of my hand and my wrist. Tendons, I suppose. I managed to make sandwiches for lunch today, but the washing up was a step too far! Well, that's my story!

I'm pleased that your swelling is going down. Hang on in there!

Meg
  • Scampdog
    Please tell me your secret Meg !, you must have one surely ....you have done an amazing job getting through this quickly absolutely sensational Xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Megrose2
    All I can say is that I think I've been very fortunate, especially considering your own experience. I would think that it's quite possible that, if you have RA, this will have affected your recovery and, thankfully, I haven't had to cope with that.

I'm pleased that the hospital are on the case and are helping your recovery and, hopefully, things will start to improve for you. I'm keeping everything crossed. Take care.

Meg x
  • Scampdog
    oh Meg ! here's you actually making a sandwich and I cant even hold a piece of paper, am hoping the RA if diagnosed is the reason they seem to think so !, apparently when surgeon took bone out the fluid was very thick and gluppy a sure sign of RA ? which is why he sent the bone and bits off (bless him) .....hoping you continue your fantastic recovery :cheers:
  • carolina1954
    carolina1954 Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I am Caroline and had a trapeziectomy 29th June on my right hand. I have a lot of movement but I can't really grip, and am still in quite some pain. I had a plaster cast for 2 weeks, then a removable splint for 6 weeks and all went really well, but now it is just stagnating. Saw the surgeon about 3 weeks ago and he said all went well and I had an Xray done to show it was all good. Straight after I saw the physio and he put me back in a splint to rest the wrist as I was in considerable pain, to take it off as I saw fit and to exercise and massage frequently.
    It still hurts a lot now but I am back at work half days, can't be off sick for months and months, but my job uses my hands all the time, shuffling paper and using mouse and typing.
    It just takes time, so I am told, bit depressing really.
  • Megrose2
    So sorry to hear that you're recovery is taking such a long time, Caroline and that you're still in pain. I feel very lucky.

I saw the consultant last week and I've now been discharged. I'm still with physio, though, as my thumb is still weak and the web space is quite reduced, so I've got more exercises to do. To be honest, I believe the reduced web space is part and parcel of the arthritic damage that has occurred over the past years, so not a new thing. I'll be seeing her again in a fortnight. I had been having pain across my palm, but, with these new exercises, that seems to be getting better.

I hope that things soon improve for you, Caroline.

Meg
  • veritee
    veritee Member Posts: 4
    Hi All

I am 65, live in the UK, have a number of conditions.

The posts about a Trapeziumectomy see quite old
    I had one 3 weeks ago, so is it a rare thing to have?
  • Megrose2
    Hi Veritee. I wouldn't say that the operation is uncommon, the surgeon who did mine had done a lot, but I must say that I don't know anybody personally who has had a trapeziectomy, only people on the forum. So, I don't suppose it's as common as say a hip replacement or knee replacement.

I hope everything is going well for you. I had my left thumb joint done in 2016 and am now thinking about having the same operation on my right thumb joint. It takes a while to recover completely and my left thumb isn't as strong as it was, but I don't have any pain, so I feel it was well worth it.

Meg
  • Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755