First time on any ra forum but I've been lurking for years ☺

Options
Gwennomai
Gwennomai Member Posts: 9
edited 27. Mar 2018, 13:50 in Say Hello Archive
I was diagnosed with JIA 17 years ago (at the age of 13) and was taking 22.5mg methotrexate tablets for many years. I had all the side affects (hair loss, mouth ulcers, sickness, constant chest infections etc) By the time I was in my early/mid 20s I had no flare ups and no morning stiffness and decided to take myself off the poison and my life carried on as normal. Genuinely believed I had 'grown out of it' like I was told it could happen. Started to have operations to correct deformities etc and even started my family. 6 months after having my youngest daughter I had the flare up from hell. I was in total denial at the time and believed it would go away again but it didn't. After nearly a year of struggling with daily tasks and taking care of my children I finally gave in and I've just had my first injection of methotrexate last week.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello

Welcome to the Arthritis Care forums. I am one of the moderation team and we all have one or more or the "arthritis hangers - on" or look after family with the same.

There are many people on the forums who take methotrexate for their arthritis and I'm sure they will give you help and advice.

Arthritis Care produce several booklets and publications and you can find them at:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications

One of the most used section of the forums is "Living with Arthritis" and it may be an idea to have a look at this section.

Best wishes
    ChrisK
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I'm sorry you have had to find us and what a shame that your JIA didn't do the recent thing and clear off. I was born with auto-immune troubles so on reflection it wasn't a complete surprise when mine arrived but it did take me aback. I began in 1997 and now have OA plus fibromyalgia but as I can't do much about any of that I ignore it all as best I can. I am deliberately childless - the genetic buck stopped with me and I don't regret that choice for one moment.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest, we all get it because we've all got it. :wink: I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben