Hello I’m new

Lizbam
Lizbam Member Posts: 13
edited 7. Apr 2018, 22:39 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I have just had a right hand trapeziectomy 1 week ago. Going back to work in the morning. Pain under control. Been having injections both hands for 3 years so hope this works then having left hand done. Anyone got the same? Both hands affected?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Lizbam and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

We have a great community here, with lots of experience of arthritis who I know will make you very welcome and help in any way they can. We have had affair few people on here who have had a trapeziectomy so you are not alone.

This is a recent thread although there are more if you do a search (top right of the page underneath ‘about us’):

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=48528&p=635928&hilit=trapeziectomy#p635928

This fact-sheet is maybe worth a read too if you have time to read it:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1636-trapeziectomy

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I 've not had a trapeziectomy but plenty have, there are some current threads about it on the Living with Arthritis board on here. I had a double carpal tunnel operation which caused some fun and games. Don't be fooled by the surface healing, the deeper stuff takes longer to happen and the tissues are friable for some time after the event. Good luck with work, I hope it doesn't cause a setback. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Crikey! That sounds like a very early return to work. Are you sure? Is your consultant happy about it?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lizbam
    Crikey! That sounds like a very early return to work. Are you sure? Is your consultant happy about it?
    May be not but I need to go back to work first day today 10am -7pm I work for a charity I love so not a chore. Keeping real though.
  • Lizbam
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, I 've not had a trapeziectomy but plenty have, there are some current threads about it on the Living with Arthritis board on here. I had a double carpal tunnel operation which caused some fun and games. Don't be fooled by the surface healing, the deeper stuff takes longer to happen and the tissues are friable for some time after the event. Good luck with work, I hope it doesn't cause a setback. DD

Thank you for the advice. Never thought my hand arthritis would be so bad at my age 57 !
  • Lizbam
    Thank you to the people responding to my post. I must admit I dont take care of myself too much and often throw my time into work. I’m hoping that 2 weeks post trapeziectomy they will take stitches out and then fit me with a very supportive splint as I have a demanding job. :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You're welcome and I hope that you do not jeopardise your recovery. Surgery and the recovery is not a matter to be taken lightly no matter how minor we might judge the procedure to be. You might well love your work but your hand may not be so enamoured. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Lizbam wrote:
    May be not but I need to go back to work first day today 10am -7pm I work for a charity I love so not a chore. Keeping real though.

I wasn't thinking about it being a chore just of the need for all your inner bits and pieces to reassemble. this takes far longer than the outside. Here's a short excerpt from Arthritis Care's leaflet on it:

"This operation results in a
    major change to the way your
    thumbs works. Your body takes
    time to rebuild the structures
    around the base of the thumb
    and to learn to move in a
    different way. Recovering the
    early movement takes six to
    eight weeks, but increasing the
    strength of the thumb pinch
    can take six months"

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/832/Trapeziectomy_Factsheet_Final_web_original.pdf?1508319984

Please be careful or you will undo all the good work.
    Steven Wright
  • Lizbam
    You were right. Day 3 of work and my hand is very sore haven’t used it I thought but might have without being aware. Sling back on and imobalised arm 😕
  • stickywicket
    I'm sorry this has happened. But it's early days and I'm sure things will work out if you just go by the stages of recovery laid out on the Arthritis Care factsheet. (I gave the link above.)

I've not had a trapeziectomy but I've had other surgeries and I know it's all too easy to get carried away when we can't actually see the damage done. It's nor just about soldiering on through any pain as it might have been before the op. Now it's about allowing healing to take place and not doing anythin that will prevent that happening.

Good luck and let's know how it goes.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    How'syit going?. Any better?
    Steven Wright