Hello! Struggling psoriatic sufferer

EmmaD30
EmmaD30 Member Posts: 3
edited 9. Apr 2018, 08:34 in Say Hello Archive
Hey I'm Emma. I have psoriatic arthritis. I am 30 and my husband and I are trying for a baby. I have had to come off treatment in order to try. It's so difficult. I am struggling a lot. Have been feeling sorry for myself lately as I just wish things could be straight forward so decided to come on and seek support from others who understand the pain and sacrifices we often have to make.

Emma

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Emma and welcome to the Arthritis UK forums.

Sorry to hear you have psoriatic arthritis - it must be extremely difficult for you to come off treatment.

There have been a number of threads on pregnancy related to psoriatic arthritis which you might like to take a look at:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/search.php?keywords=psoriatic+arthritis+pregnancy&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Not all the results fit the search, but hopefully some may be helpful.

There is also a useful page on Arthritis Research web site regarding arthritis and pregnancy:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/daily-life/pregnancy-and-arthritis.aspx

I'm sure you will also get some good support from forum members.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry things are so tough right now. If youolook on the Living With Arthritis forim you'll see a thread by 'gemz10' who has much the same problem as you.

There are no easy answers. I was fine during my first pregnancy, dreadful during my second and flared for months after both. It wasn't easy but then neither is being a Mum.

I think we can all empathise with the pain and frustration. I hope we can help with support.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I am sorry you find yourself with this dilemma, it must be difficult to make the compromise of stopping the meds in order to have a child but as the potential toxicity of the drugs is not yet fully understood it is the only course of action. I count myself fortunate that when I was younger the notion that one could have it all was not as prevalent as it is now.

I decided aged sixteen not to have children (I am now fifty nine), a decision I do not for one moment regret. Neither arthritis nor children come with an off switch, both demand a great deal from the individual and life will be considerably harder from time to time than it is now. Sometimes our dreams come true but there is often a price to be paid when they do. I wish you well and hope that you are successful in your endeavours. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • EmmaD30
    EmmaD30 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if it will happen for us because I've had arthritis from 17 and have been on various meds over the years so not sure how that has affected my body but we decided we would try. I was under no illusion that it would be difficult but guess I didn't think it would be this difficult. It's hard when you see everyone around you having babies and it seems so easy. I know that yous are right tho. Nothing is easy. I need to learn to accept that if we dont have a baby I would be ok with that. I guess what's meant for you won't pass you by and I need to remember that.

Emma
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I was born with eczema and developed asthma aged seven, in those days the creams and meds didn't exist so life was challenging: actually, staying alive was the real challenge. :( This experience has undoubtedly influenced my choices, if having children is something you have always wanted then it must be very difficult. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben