Hi I'm new today

Options
Marxyb
Marxyb Member Posts: 2
edited 9. Apr 2018, 17:23 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone .I was diagnosed with moderate to severe osteoarthritis of the right knee a year ago and like all of you have struggled . I am a full time teacher so am on my feet a lot and whilst I feel some allowances have been made I don't think most appreciate what a struggle it is. Most painkillers do not even touch the pain (8 full strength cocodamol and 2 naproxen a day) so it's generally grit my teeth time and get on with it. The thing I hate most is how it limits my life .my poor husband is brilliant he does so much and we can't go out for walks or anywhere I have to walk for long. I long to wander round shops or anywhere for that matter and our lives are planned totally around me. It can be so depressing at times. Being on these forums I hope will help with support from you all and advice.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I am now in my twenty-second year of dealing with arthritis, I have learned a great deal over that time about how and when to adjust to the demands the disease makes and how best to help myself to improve matters.

I began with an auto-immune kind (psoriatic) and over the years the joint damage that caused has naturally resulted in osteo, some joints have one, some the other and others both. I have used walking aids since a major knee operation in 2002 (not a replacement) because they enable me to go further and do more which is the point. I was a teacher working as a private tutor for dyslexics so I was fortunate in that I could tailor things to suit my needs but finally stopped after a double carpal tunnel operation: I don't miss it one iota.

The meds I take for the psoriatic (PsA) don't affect the OA, I manage that with pain relief and rest. I know the influence the weather can have which I cannot control but other aspects I can. It takes time to develop the coping strategies which will work for you but don't be afraid to use aids, they are crucial and key to ensuring you can get more out of life.

Arthritis is a very misunderstood condition, especially by those who don't have it. It doesn't only affect the elderly, there are more than two kinds and it affects all areas of our lives and relationships, not just our joints. We get it because we've got it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    yes, we can relate to that :roll: More's the pity :wink:

I expect you already know that your workplace is obliged to make changes to help - maybe a change of seat, classrooms etc. Our Helpline people would probably be of use for that sort of thing.

Pain? Mm. If I think pain meds aren't working I usually stop them. And then, sometimes, find out they were :lol:

As for not being able to do things - my mantra is that the more inflexible the joints, the more flexible our attitude has to be. Many things can be accommodated in different ways - a rollator, with seat, for walking and shopping, loads of gadgets for around the house (in any disability store).

Arthritis does affect the whole family albeit in different ways. My husband, too, is brilliant but he has his golf and his walking. We both need independence from each other. With care and forethought many things are still possible though in modified ways. Once I reluctantly accepted I was disabled it got a lot better :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright