Walking without pain?

Hoblin
Hoblin Member Posts: 2
edited 11. Apr 2018, 04:07 in Say Hello Archive
HELLO- I'm Hoblin, and travel by walking stick, 52 years old this month and have been working manual jobs since I was 19 years old. Since February 2017 I've been diagnosed with arthritis in my hip that a surgeon told me needs a replacement- but I'm too young for the operation. I'm desperately searching for some form of pain relief that doesn't involve painkillers of any kind- asking a question generally- is this possible?
Hoblin-

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello

Welcome to the foruma. I am one of the moderation team and we all have one or more of the arthritis 'hangers on ' or look after family with the same. You will find the members of this forum friendly, they will support, advise, give light relief, emphasise and offer you friendship.

Arthritis Care have several booklets and information sheets, the following may help you

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1422-medication-for-your-arthritis

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1422-medication-for-your-arthritis

They also have a free Helpline if you would like to talk to someone it is: 0808 800 4050

I hope this is of help to you. Look forward to seeing more of your posts,

Best wishes
    ChrisK
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    In short - no. I really don't think so. The best I can suggest is to keep the joints exercised, eat healthily, stick to a reasonable weight, don't smoke and use anything that'll make your life easier. I believe capsaicin is the only supplementary thing supposed to help. I'm sorry, I wish I could be more positive but, for my money, it's the above and pain meds.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I used to be able to walk without pain when I didn't have arthritis, I can't remember what it felt like but I suspect it was pleasant. I began with one affected joint, now it's around forty but as yours is so localised it will feel more acute.

Wanting pain relief without taking anything to achieve that state is wishful thinking. Mind you pain relief is not all it's cracked up to be, it ony dulls the sharper edges leaving enough to still be felt. If you don't want to swallow pills you could try voltarol or rcapsaicin creams, they are topical applications but won't achieve what you desire, nothing can or will. To ease the strain on your unaffected hip it may be worth using two sticks to slow the progress of the disease, any form of arthritis is degenerative and progressive. Strawberries and cream, gin and tonic, Fortnum and Mason, arthritis and pain are all familiar combinations but with the first three you can have one without the other. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben