Damp weather

mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 17. Apr 2018, 04:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Not been on for awhile so hugs where needed and hello to newcomers.I am not usually bothered by achy knees and hips but this cold and damp weather is making them ache so I hope its just the weather and nothing else cos I don't like it one bit, see rheumy next month so will give it a mention.Mig

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's lovely to see your name on here again albeit for the wrong reasons. I too am having a rough time with the cold and damp weather but know it's due to my OA. Now, I am not saying for one moment that this is what's up with you but it may be worth bearing in mind. Does heat help to ease matters? I find it temporarily effective for my OA but not the other. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    This weather is really affecting me as well. Its a long time since hips and knees were as sore as they are now. They are always sore to some degree but are excelling themselves at the moment :roll:

Love
    Hileena
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I too am struggling more than usual with the cold damp, although an interminable cold bug probably doesn't help. My fingers and toes are especially painful, which is tiresome(especially at work on Tuesday), so today I decided to do extreme distraction. Wednesdays are my volunteer gardening days so I got stuck in this morning. The team is coming out of hibernation so plenty of chatting and some noticeable bits of work done - large grass plant transplanted, fig tree pruning. My back will give me gyp tomorrow, but at least I can kid myself that there's a reason for my hands to be so sore!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I am fed up too with this endless cold, damp, dull weather...and so is my body!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    A radio presenter has just made me smile by referring to the autumnal mists enveloping the London landscape and then pausing before saying...'but we had a good summer didn't we?'
    It's actually fog here rather than mist at the moment so a sneaky chill breeze to add to the damp misery. I'll put the washing out anyway as any movement helps to get the creases out and will remove some moisture eventually, and the forecast is for the fog to lift by lunchtime. To reveal more spirit-lifting grey sky I've no doubt.....
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    This cold damp weather is horrible. I'm really struggling with a chest infection which has triggered my asthma-into 3rd week of antibiotics(2 kinds so far) and 2nd of predniselone-so the joints aren't too bad but I'm more miserable than I can put in to words. :( The joys of DMARDs have demolished my immune system hence the chest trouble).

I'm due to fly to Lanzarote with our daughter on Saturday for some warmth and sun if the chest settles enough- please keep your fingers crossed for me! My GP is happy for me to travel and has given me plenty of meds to get through, my doctor son is sure some warmth and sunshine will lift my spirits if I go and take things really easy for a few days.........having declared the chest infection to my travel insurers I'm several hundred pounds worse off :oops: ........but if I get there and it helps it's worth every penny.

Here's hoping the weather forecast is right and we all get some warmer weather in the near future.

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope you have a lovely time, dibdab, you deserve it after these trials and tribulations don't you?

We drove to Cambridge on Monday afternoon with the headlights on, the mist swirling and the rain steadily falling. We returned yesterday in a similar fashion but without the rain and heavier mist so that was progress. :roll: Wednesday was one of those days from hell where you wonder why you bother with taking anything at all to 'help' when it's as plain as the nose on your face that nothing actually makes a blind bit of difference when arthritis has the bit between its teeth. As the day progressed I became the old person that so irritated me when I was younger and striding out with ease, with each step slower than the last, hunched over my rollator, my forearms on the handles to try to ease some of the strain on the legs. Fat chance. Never mind, DD, mind over matter eh? I do mind but that doesn't matter, the dross will continue because that is the nature of my beasts. Oh to be back in the halcyon days of having just one or two slightly twingy joints: I didn't know I was born! :lol: I do now. :| DD
  • dibdab
    DD sometimes life with Arthur and its many add -ons is sometimes complete and utter dross!!!!!! I can only say I am hugely grateful to the nearest and dearest who genuinely care and do the little things that help to make it more tolerable, to the good old NHS who basically keep me alive and functioning to a greater or lesser degree, and to fellow plodders who understand when the grey clouds do their best to blot out all the joy in life.

Yesterday the OH came home with extra euros so we can see the island in taxis rather than attempt large group tours, and to treat ourselves to "something nice to cheer you up". Our lovely son has rung every day in the midst of his chaotic hospital rota and 3 hours travelling to dispense sensible advice and wise councel (I mindfully try not to trouble him with my dross), and gave me the confidence to actually commit to tomorrow's flight to some sunshine. Our daughter will take care of me and encourage me to take things easy whilst plotting accessible adventures. I really couldn't be more blessed.......just more healthy.

I hope your current downward plunge slows and begins to head upward again. In the meantime thank you for being a blessing to so many on here as you walk with them metaphorically (or plod, or roll or whatever gait you're managing each day! :wink: ) and share your hard won wisdom and insights.

Deb xxxx
  • mig
    So the weather has started to warm up Im still achy but humire jab is approaching so who knows,Im trying not to look out the window too much as every time I do the grass has grown some more, just can't win.
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope the humira makes a positive difference. I know what you mean about the grass, ours has gone berserk along with the flowerbeds: I hadn't realised it had been that warm and sunny for so long, I guess 'Mother Nature' responds faster to sunshine than us mere mortals. As far as I know there aren't many (if any) arthritic plants. :roll: DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello dibdab, I sincerely hope you are basking in the sun and that it's working as a much-needed tonic (with or without gin). I can report that things continue to decline but it's not the end of the world, is it? We all have times like this where it seems never-ending but of course it is, albeit at the time of its choosing rather than ours.

Thank you so much for your very kind, unexpected and wholly undeserved words. :oops: I honestly don't know what to say in reply. Positive is my default setting, an outlook gained the hard way, but every now and again it's too hard to work at it. This is one of those times. Hey-ho, humira tomorrow then another tooth out on Tuesday: I know how to keep those good times coming! :D DD
  • mig
    Dibdab said only what so many of us on here know that you are a caring person whether you are on a downer or not.(((())))

Well it started out here quite warm but as the day has gone on it got really dull and now its grey and raining so the grass won't get cut for another day don't know whether to be glad or not.
  • dibdab
    DD I am indeed in warm sunny Lanzarote and the combination has lifted my mood if nothing else. Today I read a lot in the shade, paddled briefly in the shallows and had a short stroll along the flat boardwalk immediately outside the hotel, and ate icecream because ....just because really :D .

The journey to the airport was made interesting by a phone call from our Gp telling me I urgently needed a specific antibiotic for the chest infection ; I eventually discovered that thanks to all the technical wizardry I could ask my friendly local pharmacist to release the prescription to a pharmacy that I knew of enroute who luckily had the meds in stock_ panic over and flight caught. I have to say yet again how amazing our NHS is and the dedicated folks who staff all its many sectors. How kind and supportive too the airport assistance staff who give quiet dignity to the process of getting around the airport at both ends - I know it would have been way too taxing a process with my dodgy lungs just now.

The recent spell of grottiness has left me mildly depressed but hugely aware of how lucky I am to live where these facilities are free at the point of delivery, and hugely grateful for those small acts of kindness that shine a light in the darkness.

So tomorrow by chance an old friend is on holiday in the same resort and we plan to meet for coffee, chatter and hopefully some laughter........maybe life isn't so bad after all.

Hope the weather in Britain is kinder to everyone.

DD, hope the dental visit is bearable and helpful in the long run. Keep on trundling and getting on with getting on ......it's what makes you a force for good on here.

Deb xxx m0150
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello! I am so pleased you are there and how lovely to hear from you. We do take the NHS for granted, don't we? It is far easier to grumble and moan rather than praise when things go right (which they do far more often than the other but who cares about that?)

I have the dentist tomorrow and will give him the choice about which tooth to remove: I am feeling too rough to care. Luckily no pain is involved this time so I hope that gives me a head start in avoiding the dreaded dry socket!

Keep up with all the good things going on out there, make sure you get your fill and then some. ((( ))) DD
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I can certainly identify as another arthritis sufferer who struggles with the wet weather. All my joints decided to have a huge party - I just wish I wasn't an unwilling gate-crasher! I just plodded on as I refused to allow my arthritis to win the war, but I must admit it was rather a struggle.

DD - I hope the dentist visit goes well tomorrow.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you Grace, as nothing is hurting tooth-wise I am going to ask him to do the hardest extraction to get that over and done with. :roll:

An Australian university spent a fortune researching the effects of the weather on Australians with OA and concluded it made little difference: they then admitted that maybe they didn't have the right kind of weather to validate the research. Twerps. Let's face it, one of their poor winter days = one of our better summer ones. Idiots. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    An Australian university spent a fortune researching the effects of the weather on Australians with OA and concluded it made little difference: they then admitted that maybe they didn't have the right kind of weather to validate the research.

They might have the right kind of weather for us autoimmuners. I don't find damp anything like as miserable as humidity.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright