Fifty years ago today

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 2. May 2018, 08:11 in Community Chit-chat archive
At 11am, while Mr SW waited at the front of the church, I was at the back whispering "Hang on, Dad. Wait for me." as my father, desperate to offload me, was sprinting down the aisle ahead of me.

Fifty years on, at 9am today, I took delivery of my new shower seat to go in my walk-in shower. Not your regular wedding anniversary present but a much appreciated one.

After Sainsburys' delivery has arrived, we shall go to buy some booze with which to celebrate with the church congregation after next Sunday's service. Our son will bake a cake. A cricket theme, I believe :D I trust Yorks will be winning :wink:

It will all be very low key, just like the wedding we both wanted 50 years ago but didn't get because our mothers had other plans :roll: And then, strapped for cash, we honeymooned in my friend's student flat in London (It was Easter hols so empty) and he wandered round the British Museum while, with ankles strongly protesting from the exertions of the previous day, I sat next to the Rosetta Stone reading The Art of Course Rugby.

We certainly knew how to celebrate :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Many congratulations to you and Mr Sticky t69044 .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Congratulations on your Golden Wedding Anniversary Stickywicket.

Best wishes

Ellen and the moderating Team :D t4591
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Many Congratulation :D t69044 hope you have a lovely day ..ours is 49 this August so not far behind..we were the same strapped for cash..a rented house with curtain to cover the sofa..none at the window.. :lol: we never did have an honeymoon but you cant have everything :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Thank you mig, Mod Ellen and Barbara.

We had a rather nice day. We bought lots of bottles for Sunday (some of which were non-alcoholic), did a quality control check (as one must :wink: ) and had a good lunch and a fun skype.

We did not go to the British Museum and I did not read The Art of Coarse Rugby. But the alcohol was probably cheaper than in Leicester Square 50 years ago.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Many congratulations SW, I remember my parents Golden Wedding, we had a family lunch at a good resturant. My sister had organised an anniversary telegram from the Queen along with a special coloured copy of their wedding certificate and positioned them proudly in front of my parents. My Dad's reaction? "50 years why do I want to be reminded of that for? I'd have done less time for 3 life sentences!"
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    :lol: Ah yes! Mr SW is apt to point out that the marriage licence is the only one that that doesn't run out :wink:

We had a terrific wine and cake do after church. No 2 son had baked a huge 'cricket pitch' cake complete with edible wickets, cricketers and a scoreboard proclaiming SW 50n.o. Mr SW 50n.o. Perfect.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Belated congratulations SW on your Golden Wedding Anniversary. It's lovely to read that both you and Mr SW had an enjoyable day.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    Thank you, Grace. We did and your well-wishes are much appreciated.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Congratulations!

Now you have a few minutes grace before Queenie sends a card, it goes by quickly!
  • stickywicket
    Thanks, Airwave :D I'm not holding out for the birthday card :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Ha, I was thinking of your 60th weddjng anniversary, you need to send a certificate into the palace office, I did it for my pardnts a few years back.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! wrote:
    Ha, I was thinking of your 60th weddjng anniversary, you need to send a certificate into the palace office, I did it for my parents a few years back.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! wrote:
    Ha, I was thinking of your 60th weddjng anniversary, you need to send a certificate into the palace office, I did it for my parents a few years back.
  • Airwave!
    Bloomin tablts, bloomin fiddly fingers!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    I can get rid of the duplicates if you'd like me to Airwave?

Ellen
  • Airwave!
    Yes please, my fingers are suffering and using this 8" tablet doesn't help. I have ten stylus delivered this morning, bet I can lose them all!