It's the little things... that annoy me!

13»

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Daffy, I 'defiantly' agree with that :wink: I think the increasing use of mobile devices is making people lazy about such matters, my husband says that as long as their meaning is understood by the reader it doesn't matter but I strongly disagree.

Gloria Hunniford. 'Nuff said. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    The 'defiantly' mistake is one that amuses me more than annoys most of the time, I think because there is an inadvertent subtext of doing something against the grain, or to cock a snook.
    The fact that so much of what is written these days is cut and paste and doesn't touch the side of any checking process causes a lot of the current mistakes and misuse I feel. Seems odd when it has never been easier to check correct usage and spelling, but as they say - you can take a horse to water...
  • dreamdaisy
    Rain-responsive windscreen wipers, the sort that 'work' off their own bat. Mr DD's car has them and I find them very frustrating. Driving home this morning there was a spell of moderate rain and they went into overdrive, swooshing back and forth almost too fast too see. Then the heavens really opened and they opted for an occasional wipe, at varying intervals, yielding no visible results as it was pelting. Unlike me he appears to be unconcerned about driving with poor visibility - I know that they can be over-ridden but I suspect he doesn't know how to do it. :wink: DD
  • Quintus
    Quintus Member Posts: 62
    Daffy 2: you are right! I think l'académie française is totally helpless against: Kwoi d9, à+ or "je kiffe ma taff"😊 I find it rather amusing.
  • dreamdaisy
    Traffic lights. Cyclists who do not obey traffic lights. Windy weather. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Indifferent 16th league footie on the hotel TV. Spouse oddly entranced but says 'I'll make tea after this free kick.'.

Twenty minutes later still no tea so I begin the process.

'I'm doing that, don't be so impatient.'.

IMPATIENT? Give me strength. DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Cold callers who ignore the sign on my front door (just above the door bell), which reads "I'm disabled...no cold callers." because I'm going to be interested in what they are selling.
    I'm not!

Deliveries who don't see the above sign (really?) and hammer away impatiently because I'm taking too long to answer the door.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    The sun streaming in through our windows: it's beautifully highlighting the dust in every room :x apart from the kitchen, not because the kitchen is dust-free but because it isn't reaching there. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Sometimes it's the big things that annoy eg Mr (6'2") SW :mrgreen:

I'm still working out how to use my new walk-in shower. His idea of 'helping' is either to tell me I must do something I can't or to do things for me rather than helping me to work out how I can. So not appreciated :x
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh bless him!

Flies. Ants where they should not be. The three year old next door, whiny little (*^&%$". DD
  • auntie
    auntie Member Posts: 41
    Hello! Stumbled across this thread and it’s had me chuckling. May I please add (in the same vein as “defiantly” and “heard off John”): incorrect use of “of” - as in, “I would of done it yesterday”. No no no, you would *have* done it! I sincerely hope this is not one of Wittgenstein’s language developments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dreamdaisy
    The membrane between the egg shell and the surface of the egg. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    People who do not acknowledge courtesy, e.g. those who sweep through doors held open by someone else or push open a shop door for themselves without checking if they are being followed. I wonder if they are the people who moan about the bad manners of others? DD
  • Slosh
    DD, you know they are, and also probably related to the parents who when told their primary aged child has been swearing say " I don't ****ing know where he/she gets it from", and are perfectly serious.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • daffy2
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    The membrane between the egg shell and the surface of the egg. DD
    Less of a problem with older eggs, that's why it's better not to use fresh/newly-laid eggs for hard boiling as the membrane won't come away from the shell properly or easily.
  • daffy2
    I wonder if they are the people who moan about the bad manners of others? DD
    They're the same as the folks who complain about bad service in shops. I spent 10 years behind a fresh food counter and the number of customers who would moan at us about bad service and unpleasant staff(usually in other shops thank heavens!)totally unaware of cause and effect.
  • stickywicket
    People who complain routinely in restaurants.

OK, we've all had to say something at one time or another but I know a couple of people who do it on almost every occasion thus making the meal an unpleasant chore for anyone with them. Presumably they are trying to show (who?) how important and knowledgeable they are but 'pathetic' and 'inconsiderate' are the words that spring to my mind
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    The heat. It's really dragging me down. DD
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    We've been shutting the curtains and leaving the windows open, showers to refresh and lots of drinks.

I went to an outdoor event on Saturday, wore trousers rather than my usual shorts, a loose shirt, large brimmed hat and I got burnt where my top button wasn't done up and between the buttons, doh!
  • dreamdaisy
    Mini Cheddars. One bag is never enough.

Maxi Cheddars. One tube is too many. DD
  • stickywicket
    People (OK, usually Mr SW :wink: ) who allow stuff they're putting in the bin to drag down the binliner then don't pull it back. Worse still, they put more rubbish on top.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Why is it that washed (so clean) vacuum filters make your machine smell of feet when you vacuum?

Stag beetles. 'Nuff said.

The heat. 'Nuff said. DD
  • Slosh
    The heat...need the thermostate turned down now please.
    People who play music on the beach or in their gardens...we don't all want to hear it.
    Julian of Norwich