Meth and Sunshine.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 23. Apr 2018, 02:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
For those of you who are new to methotrexate this is a reminder that meth can make the skin more photosensitive so, no matter how weak we think the sun may be, it's time to break out the sunscreen. I use factor 30. DD

m0150 m0150 m0150
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh YES!

I'm sometimes asked how I can spend a month in California and return 'unsunburnt'. It's really easy. I sit in the shade and still use high factor sunscreen.

I've never had a meth rash but, having years ago taken a med subsequently withdrawn because of its photosensitivity, I can assure everyone they'll lose their delight in sitting in the sun once they've spent a night with their arm in a bowl of cold water and had to keep getting up to replace the water as it warmed up. So, not worth it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Today I will be mostly in the garden (under the sunshade and smothered in sunscreen) as the weather here is having a crack at emulating California. Get IN! :D DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    The sunshine has made me want to clean :shock: the kitchen gets a lot of sun so shows up the winter grime but im fighting the urge :D .

How did the tooth extraction go ?
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope you have been able to maintain the resistance to doing anything towards shifting the winter grime - it will only return next winter. :wink:

This extraction was a doddle, maybe not having a roaring infection in the first place has made the difference. I have returned to the coolth of indoors and will now have a shower to get rid of the goo which is sun protection: I loathe the stuff. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    I've broken out the calamine and aqueous cream, I somehow missed a patch on the back of my neck. Ouch. It's not meth rash . . . . yet. :roll: DD
  • Kerrsa
    Kerrsa Member Posts: 233
    I got a little burnt yesterday while working outside. Have never had a major problem burning as I have olive skin but this is worse than normal. I am normally also very good with sun cream but left it at home.

I have been off methotrexate since mid January but .......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dreamdaisy
    These things happen, there's a chance that there's still a little meth swilling around your system, maybe the stronger the dose the longer it takes to clear but I don't know. Burning isn't the issue as such, it's the rash that can cause the trouble but I didn't make that clear, I forgot that basic info has to be repeated. :oops: Make sure you have sunscreen with you today if you are going to be out and about. DD
  • Kerrsa
    Kerrsa Member Posts: 233
    Thanks DD. I would say it is a mild rash. From someone who doesn’t normally burn, it is a bit strange!

Don’t worry, my arm isn’t going anywhere without suncream today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Shopping in town with my sister went into pr****k big floppy foldable sun hat for a fiver, coming home had to sit on the side of the bus that the sun came in so hat stayed on must have looked a right numpty.
  • dreamdaisy
    I too have a big, pink floppy hat which I love: Mr DD is prone to borrowing it as it shades his iPad as well as him - and you think you might have looked a numpty? :wink::lol:

Why does sunscreen have to be so greasy? :roll: DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Why does sunscreen have to be so greasy? :roll: DD
    So it stays put I would think. Won't do much good if it rubs off or sinks in too much.
  • Hobble
    Hobble Member Posts: 83
    Glad I saw this thread, always get a rash in the sun and probe to burning, didn't know about the methotrexate and sun.
  • dreamdaisy
    Daffy, that makes perfect sense: I was speaking as someone who doesn't swim or do anything too vigorous to cause its removal. The manufacturers advise that sunscreen should be reapplied after bathing - how to double one's use eh? - so they ain't gonna like me, are they? :D

I'm pleased this information was useful, Hobble; side-effects leaflets have their uses as does years of experience (plus the occasional dose of nasty meth rash). DD