Another newbie

Gatsouk
Gatsouk Member Posts: 3
Hello everyone...
I don't know much about this condition and am only just getting used to it. I've just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my neck and upper back. I've apparently got several vertebrae which are impacted. Although my Dr says it's mild, I suffer from a lot of pain across my shoulders, chest, neck and at times my arms. I also suffer from headaches and vertigo symptoms. I'm not on any medication as yet and I'm hoping I can cope without the need of it for now with just taking co-codamol/codine when it gets painful. I've had a couple of friends tell me I should immediately start a claim. But I don't believe I should do as I don't think I'm anywhere near as bad as what some people are having to suffer with. My boss has been good so far regarding things, but is there anything I need to know regarding work matters and what I should expect from my workplace in what they should be providing?

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi and welcome,Citizens advice provide good advice,the people on here will supply support/advice and if any advice is needed regarding the site just ask
    Al
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome from me too though I'm sorry to learn of your diagnosis. I have RA and OA in most joints. My back is my 'best feature' :wink: but I remember my Mum complaining about hers. They are difficult things.

You say you're not on any medication but then mention cocodamol and codeine both of which are pain meds. Perhaps you mean you're not taking anti-inflammatory meds. It's possible to take both. Has your GP suggested them?

I've been so long out of the workplace that I'm not really able to advise on it except to refer you to the government's own pages on disability and work. https://www.gov.uk/browse/disabilities/work . It also has a link to benefits. I'm not sure which one you were advised to apply for but, if you have a read, it might help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Gatsouk
    Gatsouk Member Posts: 3
    You say you're not on any medication but then mention cocodamol and codeine both of which are pain meds. Perhaps you mean you're not taking anti-inflammatory meds. It's possible to take both. Has your GP suggested them?

Sorry, what I meant is I'm not on any GP prescribed medications. I'm only taking the mentioned ones when the pain gets to the point where I can't stand it. I know compared to most people I'm probably on the low-end of the scale, probably why the GP said my condition was mild (never thought something like arthritis would be classed in that way). My GP hasn't given me any choices of any medication, so I guess only when it gets worse will I get to that point.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Please don't apologise for, allegedly, being on the mild side of arthritis. Pain is pain is pain. We can all sympathise with those in much more pain than us but that doesn't take away our own.

I suggest, if you'd rather not go back to the GP just yet, ask your local pharmacist for advice on pain relief. They're very good and know their stuff. Obviously, they can't prescribe but would be able to advise on over-the-counter stuff.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lozza812
    lozza812 Member Posts: 25
    Hello Gat souk,
    Your Employer has several areas of duty of care. As you have been diagnosed with a long term conditions you are very likely to be covered by the Equality Act 2010 as a 'disabled person' . Due to this your employer is obliged to make reasonable adjustments to support you in work.
    Adjustments can be such things as an adjustment to the trigger point for sickness absence, paid leave for medical appointments to footstools and standing desks and a plethora more.
    To help employers with this is a government funded scheme called Acess to Work, who will come out to your workplace to assess what sort of physical things will be of use to you. This is so easy to apply for, just a call to their helpline or fill in the forms on the acess to work government website.
    As an example I have a standing desk, different chair, different mouse and keyboard, a writing desk, dragon software, dicta phone, headphones and a pull along office bag for my laptop.
    I can really recommend it!
    There is so much help to keep you in work, sometimes you just need a bit of help to point you in the right direction :D