Post op THR 9 weeks in

Options
felix
felix Member Posts: 30
edited 24. Apr 2018, 05:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi it's been quite a while since I last posted I've been suffering in silence so to speak
after two cancellations I finally had my op a total hip replacement with a ceramic head I'm on my ninth week post op I can walk up to a mile in one go but I'm sore & tired after

I've got the Meds down to three zapain 30mg
& three naproxen 250mg daily there's slight pain in the top of the hip & sometimes A pricking sensation but nothing when resting
the main problem is muscle pain down the operated leg which is why I need a single crutch I try not to use it in the house & I can climb the 15 steps to bed normally occasionally with out using the handrail but I do use the hand rail coming back down

I'm writing this to ask anybody out there if am I taking to much medication should I just reduce it to paracetamol the surgeon says I'm doing ok & I've been discharged by the physio other than that I'm fine but a bit lost away from work I'd welcome any comments thanks.
“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone "
Carl Sagan.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Having finally had the operation this must be frustrating, you understandably want to get up and go. I expect the surface healing is done but the deeper healing of whatever has been sliced and diced - and there will be a fair bit - takes longer. No wonder that walking a mile is proving to be uncomfortable, maybe if you don't push it so far you may not need as much in the way of pain relief and anti-inflammatory medication. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • felix
    Options
    But physio told me to walk as much as possible & keep up with the excercise
    I'll ease it down I think thanks for the comment F.
    “Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone "
    Carl Sagan.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I suspect that what they meant was short but frequent bursts, not thirty or forty minutes of continued effort. 'Walk as much as possible' isn't the same as 'walk as far as possible'. People's use of language can be very casual, especially when they're repeating themselves to patient after patient after patient. DD
  • felix
    Options
    I feel a little foolish now
    Carl Sagan.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Not at all foolish, Felix. You have made a determined effort to get that new hip working and that's really good. As a veteran of two THRs, though, I do agree with DD. I think you've probably asked a bit too much of muscles which will not have been used to doing much work because the old, dodgy hip prevented it.

Maybe a bit less walking until you build up strength and a few more exercises instead as they will ensure all the muscles get a good workout whereas simply walking might not.

Good luck and enjoy your new freedom :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • felix
    Options
    Thanks I'll do just that
    by the way I know we're all different but how long before I'll get totally back to normal?
    Carl Sagan.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have no idea what constitutes your normal but know it's far better than mine. Hopefully you will be feeling the full benefits by late summer if you take things steadily now. DD
  • felix
    Options
    Excellent I'm off on holiday late August thanks to both of you
    Felix .
    Carl Sagan.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Have a great holiday, Felix. Take with you anything you hope you don't need such as a knee support / stick etc. I leave all such things in my suitcase when on holiday and usually they stay there but just occasionally I need to fish something out for a day or so. m0150
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright