Ordeal by Lack of Innocence.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 8. May 2018, 11:37 in Community Chit-chat archive
The BBC finally showed their much-vaunted adaptation of Agatha Christie's novel Ordeal by Innocence but with one or two changes: it was deemed necessary to introduce 21st century social mores and language plus changing the identity of the villain. It also heavily relied on the flashback method of narration - too heavily for my taste. The new author was very dismissive about her massacre of the original text and the ending was weaker than a six week old lettuce leaf.

It could have been so good: a strong cast, a beautiful setting, an interesting story but it somehow failed to engage my attention because I knew it was not going to end as the original author intended. Why publicise this as an Agatha Christie when it wasn't? If you watched it how did you find it? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I kind of missed most of it due to (a)being abroad (b)jetlag and (c)the constant time shifts. I just couldn't get into it.

Despite being an avid Agatha Christie reader in my teens I don't remember this one so the ending neither surprised nor disappointed me. A good cast, though, as you say.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I missed this one DD..such a shame when they think its right to modernize them.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I loved it. Very stylish and well acted. However I have never been an Agatha Christie fan which could have made a difference. What I was disappointed in was last night's first episode of their new adaptation of The Woman in White, I know the story but I did wonder if those who didn't would find the flashbacks confusing.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I watched that, it was a curate's egg, wasn't it? Thanks to a flare my concentration is not that good, I was too tired to be confused :roll: but feel that the flashback is becoming an over-used dramatic device.

On the plus side another series of The Bridge is coming to BBC2 in the near future - hurrah! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Sorry to hear that DD. I tend to start loosing my focus after abiut 9.30 so record things to watch the next morning.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    I barely remember the book, it's so long since I read it but I remember not being particularly enthralled by it so I'd nothing to lose by watching the series. I find it OK viewing for 9pm Sunday when I'm so tired I'll watch anything that moves. I did feel that, in an effort to modernise, the really pretty one is the boychild artist with his blond curls. Really?
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I find that dear old auntie is losing her faculties rather and behaving oddly. In her quest for money we get the same format game shows but with different subjects, and the winner is....... pause, pause..... We get every show representing every race and creed, mine you the other sides adverts have only a minority in theirs.

As for Megan mania in a week or two.........

At least the weather gives me the cold(!) truth but I sometimes wonder if these are repeats?
  • stickywicket
    The long pause before announcing winners or losers is so annoying. It's getting so's you can go out and brew a cuppa.

And the politically correct social mixes! I can see the Beeb's dilemma but each new line up of anything in this household prompts a game of Spot the Child / Pensioner / Scot/Irish/Welsh person (perm any two of the three) / northerner / gay / Asian / black, plus the one who's no earthly use at the task but will be good for viewing figures for a week or two. Cynical? Yup.
    Steven Wright
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    I do like Agatha Christie's, but have never read any. I did enjoy this version, I rather liked the departure from convention, but did think the ending a little weak and very rushed - though fitting.

I have read Wilkie Collins and have not been able to bring myself to watch this yet, it was a favourite of mine when I read it and am rather afraid of them massacring it.

Spotting the minority is getting to be more than a little irritating these days, as a minority myself, I don't need reminding that we exist thank you...If it felt more natural it would be ok, rather than so pointedly forced...