options for severe degeneration mtp

palo
palo Member Posts: 240
edited 27. Apr 2018, 06:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Anyone know what my options may be for severe degeneration of mtp due to osteo-arthritis?

Have recently found out that that is why I am struggling to walk.

I have called helpline, but they are busy but should call back in a couple of days.

I have an appointment with a consultant but that is 6 weeks ago, so am trying to prepare.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    mtp?

Sorry, cóuld you enlighten me please, palo?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • palo
    mtp?

Sorry, cóuld you enlighten me please, palo?

mtp is it the big toe joint, at the base of the big toe.

The metatarsophalangeal joints (MTP joints) are the joints between the metatarsal bones of the foot and the proximal bones (proximal phalanges) of the toes. They are condyloid joints, meaning that an elliptical or rounded surface (of the metatarsal bones) comes close to a shallow cavity (of the proximal phalanges).
  • stickywicket
    Thanks for the clarification. I think there are 25 or 26 bones in the foot and most of mine have either fused themselves or else wiggle about in ways they shouldn't. I've had to wear surgical shoes for about 50 years,

I know we've had people on here with all sorts of foot problems and the only operations I'm aware of are fusion and maybe replacement. I think all replacement operations work best if the patient has only the odd affected joint. I consider my THRs and TKRs have all worked brilliantly at getting rid of the pain but I've not been able to do a great deal more because of the RA / OA in the other joints.

One of the problems of the forum is that, if a person's problem is sorted, they often disappear to live a more interesting life so don't always see that others are asking for info they could provide. We've certainly had people who have had foot operations though mostly, I think, ankles rather than toes.

I hope one of them sees your post. In the meantime, you could put 'foot' or 'big toe' or whatever you think relevant into the Arthritis Care search engine. Former threads might come up. Plus, I found this article on the ARUK website which might be of interest. https://tinyurl.com/ycr5mcun
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I've had fusion which is ok but the weight goes on your other toe joints and they wear faster. I had a joint replacement on the other side but the bone never grew around the shaft so it was removed after a year and I have a space (it hurts!).

Last visit the consultant was talking about cutting the bones under my foot and shortening them to drag the joints away from where the foot bends. That fell through and I have carbon inserts and arch supports in my shoe, I feel that this is temporary. Where to next? Electric scooter??

On the bright side I can't wait for a hover board.😂😂😂
  • palo
    Thanks for the clarification. I think there are 25 or 26 bones in the foot and most of mine have either fused themselves or else wiggle about in ways they shouldn't. I've had to wear surgical shoes for about 50 years,

I know we've had people on here with all sorts of foot problems and the only operations I'm aware of are fusion and maybe replacement. I think all replacement operations work best if the patient has only the odd affected joint. I consider my THRs and TKRs have all worked brilliantly at getting rid of the pain but I've not been able to do a great deal more because of the RA / OA in the other joints.

One of the problems of the forum is that, if a person's problem is sorted, they often disappear to live a more interesting life so don't always see that others are asking for info they could provide. We've certainly had people who have had foot operations though mostly, I think, ankles rather than toes.

I hope one of them sees your post. In the meantime, you could put 'foot' or 'big toe' or whatever you think relevant into the Arthritis Care search engine. Former threads might come up. Plus, I found this article on the ARUK website which might be of interest. https://tinyurl.com/ycr5mcun

Thank you SW, interesting link..
  • palo
    Airwave! wrote:
    I've had fusion which is ok but the weight goes on your other toe joints and they wear faster. I had a joint replacement on the other side but the bone never grew around the shaft so it was removed after a year and I have a space (it hurts!).

Last visit the consultant was talking about cutting the bones under my foot and shortening them to drag the joints away from where the foot bends. That fell through and I have carbon inserts and arch supports in my shoe, I feel that this is temporary. Where to next? Electric scooter??

On the bright side I can't wait for a hover board.😂😂😂

AW You terrify me, and I thought I'd been through it all. 3 stays in ICU, numerous stays in HDU, and a party piece of collapsing unexpectedly are beginning to pale in comparison to day to day living with this...
  • stickywicket
    I think Airwave has just illustrated perfectly how, with there being so many bones in the foot, anything done to one can often impact on others. I'd go for the non-surgical route for as long as possible.
    Steven Wright