RA & now Discoid Lupus

Options
Rach1972
Rach1972 Member Posts: 10
edited 30. Apr 2018, 02:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, I have had RA now for 8 years. Last year I managed to get very slightly sun burned on the tip of my nose which would not heal. I also get a sore/scabby scalp which takes forever to heal. Several months passed and I had a biopsy fully expecting it to be skin cancer and got the result as Discoid Lupus. Is there anyone else on here dealing with this lovely combination of RA & Discoid Lupus? I'm currently taking leflunomide, abatacept & azathioprine and my rheumy is looking to drop leflunomide and replace it with hydroxychloroquine (last time I was on this the hair loss was horrendous so feeling slightly nervous). Thankfully I do have a good rheumy. Currently waiting for my dermatology appointment on the 10th to discuss topical options. Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope you're all keeping wellish x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm so sorry to read this. You seem to have drawn the short straw. I know it's possible to have both RA and Lupus but I think it's pretty rare.

I guess there's no point in my telling you that I've been on hydroxy for many years with no problems. If you had problems before you will obviously be worried about having them again. Oddly (to my mind) this doesn't always happen with meds. I hope you'll be OK this time round. Please let us know how things go.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I do arthritis and rubbish skin thanks to psoriatic arthritis but I think you've taken it to another level. Lupus is another auto-immune thing (do they ever end?) and I hope that the resumption of hydroxy helps: it's not one I've ever tried. Please let us know how you get on with dermatology. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben